Tap water issue

superluke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
oxford uk
Today I decided to do a water test on my tap water and nitrate was around 40/50 ppm which is way to high for my fish anyone else have this problem and how do they get around it?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Did you let the water run a few moments before you pulled the sample? I don't know why that would matter, but it might.

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
Definitely would need that to be looked into if that is a correct reading!!

Assuming nitrates are present in your water at an elevated level you could use plant filtration for your tanks. There are some threads about it, but one of the most basic ways is to use pothos plants and submerge the roots (keeping the leaves out of the water). You will probably need a number of these to really make a difference, but definitely worth a try. The more leaves the better.

When I am able to set my tanks back up (after my wife and I buy a house) I am planning on putting plants in my wet/dry filter with a light in the stand. This way I don't have plants growing everywhere out of the tank!

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
US EPA standards are 10 PPM, but EU standards (which the UK follows) are 50 PPM. The EU standard comes from the WHO.

40-50 PPM is considered safe for human consumption.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store