NOTICE TO PURIGEN USERS - TRIED, TESTED & RESULTS

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi,

I have been playing with Purigen and reactors, and the whole concept of fluidizing this media.

Here is what i did:

Firstly, i customizes a Phosphoban reactor to work with Purigen so it doesn't blow it into the tank, then i worked out how much I could get in without causing a blockage at the top of the reactor this was on the advice of SEACHEM, below is an email frin their tech support:

Code:
[FONT=arial]Hello xxxx,[/FONT][FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]If the Purigen is tumbling slowly then there is no harm. Purigen does work fluidized as long as the reactor does not release the product back into the system.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[FONT=Helvetica]Product Support
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]10234[/FONT]
Here is a pic of what i came up with:

Filters (6) 2217 and Reactor.jpg

The above pic if after the Purigen had been in the reactor with no recharge for 2 months. NOTICE HOW THE PURIGEN HAS NOT CHANGED COLOUR AT ALL!!!

Last night i decided to clean the canister and i tried something different with the Purigen, so i packed the Purigen down so it could not move but the water could flow through it easily, here is a pic:

Purigen NON moving .JPG

NOTICE THE COLOUR OF THE PURIGEN - THIS IS IN 7 HOURS.....I put the reactor in place, went to bed at midnight and woke at 7am and took this picture....

My conclusion is that no matter how many people try to tell you that Purigen will work in a fluidized reactor, this is including the SEACHEM TECH SUPPORT..................IT DOES NOT WORK FLUIDIZED!!!

I hope this helps other Purigen users, and I have sent this info through to Seachem so that can see the results!

Purigen NON moving .JPG

Filters (6) 2217 and Reactor.jpg

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
that's surprising. I had wondered if using purigen in bags, where it tends to stay packed in wads, was less efficient.
apparently that is pretty good, although it doesn't seem to make sense :-]

Thanks for these illustrations!

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
that's surprising. I had wondered if using purigen in bags, where it tends to stay packed in wads, was less efficient.
apparently that is pretty good, although it doesn't seem to make sense :-]

Thanks for these illustrations!
Yeah the bags dont work either! if you bag up the purigen and put it in a canister or filter it is compace and the water will flow round it...

you need to create a situation where the water has no option other than to pass through the purigen like i have with the acrylic chamber

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I see what you mean, but in bags it does turn dark much more & faster than your reactor demo shows
:-/

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I see what you mean, but in bags it does turn dark much more & faster than your reactor demo shows
:-/
probably would because i have not throttled back the canister that is pumping the water!!

this is capturing at the full speed of my Eheim classic 2217.....if i slowed the flow to 50% i would guess it would be black overnight!

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Man this thread is awesome. I just ordered purigen myself and had wondered if a reactor would be a better way to go. Now I know better. Thanks for posting, it was really helpful

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Man this thread is awesome. I just ordered purigen myself and had wondered if a reactor would be a better way to go. Now I know better. Thanks for posting, it was really helpful
using a reactor is better than just having it in a bag, but at the same time it is how you configure the media in the reactor!! fluidizing does not work!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store