Trim

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Im thinking about buying a tank off a member and he said that he removed the bottom trim then resealed the tank Im just wondering if it will be okay?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
The bottom trim is there generally to raise the bottom plane of glass. Without it you will need to set the tank on foam. I could be wrong. Someone else can correct me

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
All the water pressure is on the bottom panel and corners. The trim helps with the panels from separating and leaking

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
So if I put it on foam or something it would be okay?

I believe he is trying to say that the trim is keeping the pressure away from the bottom corners because without it the tank would explode. The amount of pressure from the water isnt supported by the thin layers of silicone without the trim. You could probably make a tank trim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I believe he is trying to say that the trim is keeping the pressure away from the bottom corners because without it the tank would explode. The amount of pressure from the water isnt supported by the thin layers of silicone without the trim. You could probably make a tank trim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It will hold for some time but it will eventually bust a seal. The trim also helps keeps the panels from bowing.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Yea, I think im going to pass on it :/

You can always buy new trim if the tank is worth it. I paid $60 for both top and bottom trim for a 55. I've also seen people make trim and center braces out of wood. If you stain the wood and coat it with something like polyurethane should water proof but I'm not 100% sure if its polyurethane tho.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store