Water change through overflow?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Would it be the same as water change if i were to add waterinto the tank and let the old water flow out thru the overflow in my sump? Or would it be better to remove water nunusing a hose then add new water
Into the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
The only difference I see is that by flooding your tank some of the new water will end up going out through the over flow. How much? Anybody's guess

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If you shut down your system and remove 50% of the water (whether through buckets, siphon, over flow, etc.) you have in theory removed 50% of the nitrates. On the other hand, if the system is not shut down and you add 50% more water to the tank and let the surplus over flow from the system (from the sump, a siphon, etc.) you are very unlikely to remove 50% of the nitrates.

The new water is going to mix with the old water and you're going to dump some of the new water in your water change. How much depends on your particular setup, but it could be substantial.

Water is fairly cheap, but I like to know that my 50% WC actually removed 50%.

Keep in mind that some of the dechlorinator will get dumped as well, so you'd want to take that into account.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I'm planning to do this on top of my weekly water change with removal of water. since i feel my tank is overstocked. :)
and have to gone thru with my drip system yet

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
What I did was add an extra bulk head to my overflow. I put it one third of the way down from the top, but you could put it wherever you like. This bulkhead goes directly into my sewer clean out. When I do a water change I unplug my pumps, open the valve on the drain line and it drains to the correct level, no chance of over draining. I then use the hose to fill the tank. You said you had a overflow on your sump, you could plumb this extra bulk head to that overflow pipe and there you go. Simple as that.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
What I did was add an extra bulk head to my overflow. I put it one third of the way down from the top, but you could put it wherever you like. This bulkhead goes directly into my sewer clean out. When I do a water change I unplug my pumps, open the valve on the drain line and it drains to the correct level, no chance of over draining. I then use the hose to fill the tank. You said you had a overflow on your sump, you could plumb this extra bulk head to that overflow pipe and there you go. Simple as that.

thanks :) can't imagine how it looks like, can you post a picture if possible :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store