BlackTopKing's "Stone Forest" Malawi Cichlids

BlackTopKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Summerville, SC
Hey guys

Old member, returning to to the hobby.
Starting off with a 125g set up that i picked up used, Basic Glass aquarium with WD Aquaclear 300 and T5Lighting.

I have 125lb of sand and diy faux rock that i made into pillars and laid out to be...lol...you guess it, a stone forest. I am still makeing a few more to create some walls in the corners.

I recently recieved my first order on some of my fav cichlids but still looking for a few more, here is the current list.

4x Aul Albino Sunburst
4x Alu hansbaenschi Regal
4x Aul maulana Bicolor 500
4x Aul maylandi Sulfurhead
4x Sciano Fryeri
4x Proto Twaiwan Reef
4x proto Red Empress
6x Cyno Afra Jalo Reef

Def looking for
Fusco'
FlameTails
Eureka Reds
Lawana
Zimbawe Rocks

Ndumbi Reds
Nyereroi (Nkobe Island)

Will post pics asap.

Rj

BlackTopKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Summerville, SC

here Is a new guy I got yesterday, can you guess what it is....my best idea is a hongi mix of some kind...store didn't know either, I just liked him...so I got em...gotta have an odd ball

bozatron

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2012
Dubai
The tank isnt my cup of tea, I prefer tanks with much more rockwork for Africans but it is your tank and not mine :) However your stock list looks really nice. You have some great choices on there.

The last one is a Labidochromis Hongi. I had a small group in my 70G mixed mbuna tank I had set up a few years back, here is a pic of the Alpha . . .

Hongi_17_6_11.jpg

Hongi_17_6_11.jpg

BlackTopKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Summerville, SC
Thanks guys.

Im actually in the mist of a tear down already.
The HVAC unit went dead and has been Three days in the replacement...meanwhile tradity struck on the tank.
2 jalo and 2 Taiwans died...water temp on tank is high and been tryn to do small water changes to cool down, but kinda pointless really.
Pump in sump overheated and sezed (had small 12v fan on it, but not enough).
So had to make a fast replacement n ended up getting a internal pond filter, blocking off for external.

Issue is other then the tempt I cant fig why the sudden deaths (not happy about at all btw).

Water n evrrything ok

Next though is the diy rock, fish are ordered from Atlantis and 1/2 are to be wild. But noticed they pick the rock like crazy...bare in some areas...

I havent seen any actually try to eat but could be...

Odd part, is the pickers (red empress and bi colors) are doing great...

So for now ive removed the rock and placed in another tank with feeders....see what happens

I really dont think rock is issue,(never had isssue in 7yrs of doing diy rock) but I have alot invested in my malawis to chance right now

Next odd n strangest of them all...
One jalo now has a two tone face...meaning natural on one sode n blk on othet...like twoface...never have I seen or heard of this n its new as of today....

Worried about that...

Hopefully HVAC is up n running tomorrow n tank temps back down into the 70's...

Any ideals or feed back would be great.

As for the layout, I agree...more rock when the stock is a manuba base, but I tried to keep open water for the haps n peacocks.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Hey guys

Old member, returning to to the hobby.
Starting off with a 125g set up that i picked up used, Basic Glass aquarium with WD Aquaclear 300 and T5Lighting.

I have 125lb of sand and diy faux rock that i made into pillars and laid out to be...lol...you guess it, a stone forest. I am still makeing a few more to create some walls in the corners.

I recently recieved my first order on some of my fav cichlids but still looking for a few more, here is the current list.

4x Aul Albino Sunburst
4x Alu hansbaenschi Regal
4x Aul maulana Bicolor 500
4x Aul maylandi Sulfurhead
4x Sciano Fryeri
4x Proto Twaiwan Reef
4x proto Red Empress
6x Cyno Afra Jalo Reef

Def looking for
Fusco'
FlameTails
Eureka Reds
Lawana
Zimbawe Rocks

Ndumbi Reds
Nyereroi (Nkobe Island)

Will post pics asap.

Rj
how did you make them columns?

BlackTopKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Summerville, SC
how did you make them columns?
Greatstuff and quickcrete. The main pillar with the plant above water (think I need to post pic of that)is supported with a 1" pvc pipe. And the cup (as ill call it, is the bottom section of a plastic bottle) so plant is isolated from the tank water itself

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store