Compatability question

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
Hey ya'll,
After a while of cowfish raising, eventually ending up with me returning the thornback cowfish to the lfs :/ (he looked cramped at 9 inches in a 75g), I've decided to take a different spin on this 75.

I'm looking to make a mantis shrimp tank, housing a peacock mantis shrimp. I've done my research and I've planned out all actinic lights (to prevent shell rot) with possibly some hardy softies, zoos, and LPS. My question is, would a blue spot(ted) toby puffer be a suitable tank mate for the mantis? I realize many of your first thoughts are somewhere along the line of "what the hell are you thinking," yet I've found for some, they are able to have triggers or puffers or both or something along that line, with mantises. I'd be looking at a 3 inch peacock mantis and a 3 inch bluespot, with both species coming around 6 inch adult size. Would that work? Or would that just be a suicide plan for the puffer?

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Ya I'm thinkin' crazy - 1st off I'd ask is this tank acrylic or just 3/8 inch glass as mantis are know for cracking glass under 3/4 of an inch.

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
Ya I'm thinkin' crazy - 1st off I'd ask is this tank acrylic or just 3/8 inch glass as mantis are know for cracking glass under 3/4 of an inch.
That's the first thing I thought of. Anything on the outside of the glass that's perceived as a threat or a meal will cause the shrimp to smack the glass. Usually doesnt end well. It's not the smack that will crack it, it's the extremely low pressure bubble behind the smack that will cause stress cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
Yeah I looked into that, my tank itself is 1/2 inch thick glass, not acrylic. Under my circumstances, I don't believe that the glass thickness is a pressing issue; however I might be entirely wrong. From what I know, many have successfullyraised mantises (especially younger/smaller ones) in glass aquaria for the mantises entire lifespan. However, I'm still trying to think of good tank mates for the mantis, and my options are pretty limited. From what I hear, for some people, triggers or puffers or even chromises and damsels have worked with peacock mantises. Would that potentially work in my case (in a 75g) ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store