tank to sump conversion

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
I've got a tank with the measurements - 100cm x 40cm x 50.3cm - H.

I wanna potentially set up a sump using this tank, how would I go about this?

"big ball of light, spits out dinosaurs" - Mac, Primeval New World

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
By placing that tank at a level lower than your main tank, installing a drain or external overflow in your aquarium that flows into said tank, and having a pump to return the water to the main tank. It is that easy. Turning a sump into an efficient filter system is a completely different kettle of fish, and if that is what you want to do I'd suggest you start searching through the DIY Filters forum (and this one) to see how other people have theirs set up so you can get some ideas about the different options for mechanical and biological filtration and figure out what will work for you.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
By placing that tank at a level lower than your main tank, installing a drain or external overflow in your aquarium that flows into said tank, and having a pump to return the water to the main tank. It is that easy. Turning a sump into an efficient filter system is a completely different kettle of fish, and if that is what you want to do I'd suggest you start searching through the DIY Filters forum (and this one) to see how other people have theirs set up so you can get some ideas about the different options for mechanical and biological filtration and figure out what will work for you.
thank you mate!

wvance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Culpeper, VA
I have some designs and pics in the albums on my prifile page. Check them out and I hope it gives some fodder for an idea.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
I have some designs and pics in the albums on my prifile page. Check them out and I hope it gives some fodder for an idea.
ahh ok, thanks mate!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store