Question on PH

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
Ok, so.
I have been a bad girl at testing my PH. I just tested it today. My tank water is between 7.2 and 7.6. So then I tested my TAP water.
The water from my tap is 7.6
Before I tested, I had done a water change yesterday, and I do not know what the PH was BEFORE I did my water change. I will have to check that right before my NEXT water change in about a week to see if it is any different than it is now.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
NitrAte - 10
PH - ~7.4
Tank 125 Gallons - Filters FX5, Aqueon 55/75 powerfilter
Sand substrate (just removed a LOT of it so its very thin)
No other décor.
W/C - Once weekly

So that's the info, and here is my question. ... question(S)

1. Does tank water normally change PH as time goes by? That is.. If its 7.4 now, will it be different a week from now?

2. If there IS a difference in PH between the tap water and the current tank water, what precautions can I take to keep the PH stable for water changes?

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Your hardness is so high that you will never have to worry about such minor fluctuations. Congratulations, you have perfect water. :p

New water loses its temporary hardness as it degases, since it depressurizes after leaving the faucet. This bothers fish if it causes microbubbles on their gills, scarring them. It could, in theory, bother very sensitive wild fish, but most aquarium fish will hardly notice.

If you go a VERY long time, months, without a water change, yes, your hardness will be destroyed by biological processes. Regular water changes completely prevent this.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Ph will drop a bit over the course of a week. The 2nd question is answered by how much it actually drops. If it drops from 7.6-7.2 and you do a 50% waterchange, it will end up at 7.4 which will have no negative affect on the fish. As long as your not going from one extreme to the other, you'll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
Your hardness is so high that you will never have to worry about such minor fluctuations. Congratulations, you have perfect water. :p

New water loses its temporary hardness as it degases, since it depressurizes after leaving the faucet. This bothers fish if it causes microbubbles on their gills, scarring them. It could, in theory, bother very sensitive wild fish, but most aquarium fish will hardly notice.

If you go a VERY long time, months, without a water change, yes, your hardness will be destroyed by biological processes. Regular water changes completely prevent this.
Great answer! Very helpful. I had no idea I had perfect water. lol

Ph will drop a bit over the course of a week. The 2nd question is answered by how much it actually drops. If it drops from 7.6-7.2 and you do a 50% waterchange, it will end up at 7.4 which will have no negative affect on the fish. As long as your not going from one extreme to the other, you'll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Awesome. Perfect. Thank you!

Here's a great article on water parameters, including pH. http://www.tbas1.com/Exchange/The New England 11.pdf

pH fluctuations [within moderation] are perfectly normal, especially for aquariums with plants, and are essentially harmless to your fish.
Thanks for the article! :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It is normal for pH to drop after being in a tank only a day because metabolic process produce acidification, which is constant and can immediately can drop pH.
This is why it is better to do more frequent partial water changes, than, for example 1 per month.
The more water changes you do, means the more stable your tanks water parameters will be.
Each water change adds significant buffering capacity (alkalinity), which is the ability of your tank to handle the constant production of acid from fish waste and urine, decomposition and microbial activity.
A pH of 7.5 is a 100 fold difference than 7.6.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store