Beginner planted tank

cichlidnick7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
Maryland
I'm interested in doing a planted tank, but have not had much experience with planted tanks. I am using a 20 gallon and would like to know what a good beginner set up would be and what would be some good beginner plants. I would like to keep some angelfish in the tank so I must keep that in mind. In addition to beginner plants I would like to know what a good substrate would be for growing healthy plants. I've seen a lot of videos on dirting tanks vs. the Carib sea plant substrates and think I am going to go with the Carib sea plant substrate. Any advise/suggestions on plants for the tank and set ups would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I like the eco substrates for plants they work nicely. There are also the seachem flourite, which is really good. Seachem also makes a nice fertilizer line flourish. The flourish plant comprhensive is a good starter fertilizer. What is your lighting? This will really help with plant selection.

cichlidnick7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
Maryland
Ummm I'm probably going to use the marineland single bright LED lights. I'm unsure of the wattage. Sorry if that doesn't help. I will try to figure that at soon. And ok thanks I will use the Seachem.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Aim for low light plants such as anubis and java fern. I've had good success with these using playsand. If you dont have the light yet. I would use ecocomplete substrate and save for a double bright. Once you have success you'll want to do different plants and the single bright will limit your options.

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
Aim for low light plants such as anubis and java fern. I've had good success with these using playsand. If you dont have the light yet. I would use ecocomplete substrate and save for a double bright. Once you have success you'll want to do different plants and the single bright will limit your options.
+1. Solid advice.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
vallis always works for me. goes well with the angel too. not familiar with the type of lights you mention but mine grows like weeds under 2 t5's. if the lights are bright id recommended co2 east and cheap if you use fire extinguishers (after initial outlay for regulator)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cichlidnick7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
Maryland
Ok thanks for the Vallis tip. I'll definitely try to get some in my tank. And I've heard a lot about co2 boosters and debating to get one in my tank. But what do u mean by co2 east?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Crypts would be a great choice if you decide to step up from the single bright leds. Very easy to fae for and look good, will mix well in the mid ground with vals in the back. Co2 east was probably a typo for co2 yeast, Google it for a diy solution for co2. I've done the yeast route and for 20g I'd rather dose metricide 14, both are ways to get carbon to your plants.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
A 20 gallon is too small for a angel fish.

I would use a plant substrate like this, http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-su.../eco-complete-plant-substrate-black-20lb.html
Then I would get this light. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-lighting/coralife-fw-double-aqua-t5-strip.html

Then to make it easy, buy this plant package, http://www.aquariumplants.com/24_Plant_Assortment_Hardy_Low_Light_p/ashll24.htm

Get a timer for your light, and leave it on for 7 or eight hours a day. This is all you really need for a nice, beginner, low light planted tank.

Is your 20 gallon a long or a tall?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store