filter question

skinnyallen

Feeder Fish
Jun 11, 2012
ireland
hi all,
just a question of opinion on a filter.
im thinking of using large rocks for the floor of the tank. but with large rocks food and such will get stuck between them. would an under gravel filter help or are they a waste of time. i dont want to have to take all the rocks out every time i need to clean it. any help is very welcome
thanks craig
the tank size is 4'x2'x2'

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I can't see how using large rocks as the substrate will be a good design. I envision large amounts of uneaten food accumulating in undisturbed portions of the tank. Not good. An UGF (whether traditional or reverse flow) is not designed to flush food as much as it is to bring a moderate water flow in the substrate.

Yoy can hope to suction out some of the particles if your siphon is strong enough, but are you willing to do that every day?

skinnyallen

Feeder Fish
Jun 11, 2012
ireland
thanks for the advise. so heres my problem. im keeping 6 peacock bass, a bkf and 10 different types of catfish and a blue crayfish. i need to remove the gravel because im taking out too much water trying to clean it but i dont like the look of just a glass bottom so im looking for something different

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
That crayfish is not going to last long.
If you're removing too water trying to keep the gravel clean, your overstocked, and probably over feeding them too. Upgrade your tank, or re-home your fish.

skinnyallen

Feeder Fish
Jun 11, 2012
ireland
Large rocks, wood, or decorations that are hard to move will create a problem for you in the near future. Just leave a fine thin layer of gravel, about an inch or less. Don't overfeed, overstock and keep up with WC.

Also I have one of these and works just fine. I use it in between regular gravel vacs/WC

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-maintenance/eheim-battery-gravel-vacuum.html
thanks very much. very helpful. did know of a gravel cleaner like this could help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store