Can a Canister filter be hooked up to a drilled tank

Dinosaurs Rule

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Hello all

I can get a great deal on a 210g all glass aquarium it's drilled for dual overflows. I really don't know about sumps, always had canister or hob filters. So I would like to stay with canister filters. So my question is can I plumb up 2 fx5's thru the pre-drilled holes with out ruining my filters. I did a Internet search on it but it seems the info I found is 50/50 about it. Any help would be great...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Plug or cap the holes. It would depend on how big the plumbing needs to be on whether or not the canister would work. Capping the holes would be easy.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
I have seen some fx5s plumbed into some acrylic tanks. Just need to find the right size bulkhead for the holes and get some hose clamps. You are honestly better off with a sump though, do some research and learn how to set them up! I have sumps on my 120, 270, and 360. I also use a 406, fx5, fx5 respectively on each of the tanks with inline uvs.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Not my pic, but it can be done here's an example.

sexytank3003.jpg

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
It depends on how your overflows are set up really. I'd block the holes up and put the intake for the FX5 in there along with the heaters to keep them out of sight.

Actually, if it were me I'd sell the FX5 and set up a sump. Being unfamiliar with something is no reason to avoid it, get learning!!

Dinosaurs Rule

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Wisconsin
I'm not against setting up a sump... I have done some research on them but I'm trying to work with what I got... As of now I have one fx5 on my 125g and another one I picked up used sitting around so if I get this 210 I would sell the 125... So my only real concern is that plumbing them to a overflow is would it change them from a siphon to a force flow and mess up the motors of the fx5...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I don't think I'd bother hard-plumbing them into the tank, perhaps the returns if you really want to (although the FX5 returns are pretty cool, I actually use one for the return from the sump on my 400L tank), but for the intakes I'd just put them in the overflow box (presuming it is a regular full-height corner overflow) along with the heaters and block up the holes for the overflow drain either with a piece of glass siliconed in place or an end cap attached to the bulkhead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store