Convict Cichlids

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2010
NEW YORK
I have a 10 gallon in my room.
I had a pair of convict cichlids.
For the past few days the temperature outside is 75+
In my room the temperature is hotter because I'm on the second floor.

Yesterday I noticed that a couple of fry and the female died. So I did a waterchage. Today I came home and noticed that my big male died. Today was 85+ degrees

What's should I do to prevent any more deaths.
I also noticed that all of the fishes that died there mouth was wide oped.
I had a total of 15 fish now I'm down to 3
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
They DO make aquarium "coolers" but just run a fan into the water so it cools off alot...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
You could try and add a fan above your tank to lower the temps maybe by 1 - 2 degrees...

Or turn an air-con on to keep ambient room temps down, otherwise, put some water in a zip-lock bag, freeze it overnight, then before heading out during the day, float it in your tank to keep temps down...

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
what kind of fish are they? what was the water temperature and your house doesn't have AC?
with out those inform on the fish all I can say is: if you don't have an air pump then it most likely the lack of Oxygen due to high temperature, get an air pump or keep the number of fish low will do.

japbart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2012
Los Angeles
what kind of fish are they? what was the water temperature and your house doesn't have AC?
with out those inform on the fish all I can say is: if you don't have an air pump then it most likely the lack of Oxygen due to high temperature, get an air pump or keep the number of fish low will do.
He actually wrote those. Try reading his post again.

Libpete

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
England
I installed a small PS2 fan into the lid of my 10g as it gets so hot in there some days. It extracts the air outwards and pulls it in via the two cable slots, and is powered with a 9v battery. Granted we only have a few hot days over here so a battery wouldnt be ideal for you and a mains converter would be better.

Elbling0

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2013
Silent Hill
You could try and add a fan above your tank to lower the temps maybe by 1 - 2 degrees...

Or turn an air-con on to keep ambient room temps down, otherwise, put some water in a zip-lock bag, freeze it overnight, then before heading out during the day, float it in your tank to keep temps down.
When summer hits here it can get 40 C+ and I have tried the ice method but it just seems to make the temperature fluctuate too much trying to kep it cool with multiple bottles that are quickly melting through the day and I figure it's better keeping a steady temperature then having it fluctuate all day. I think your best bet may be a fan.

Convict Cichlids

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2010
NEW YORK
I installed a small PS2 fan into the lid of my 10g as it gets so hot in there some days. It extracts the air outwards and pulls it in via the two cable slots, and is powered with a 9v battery. Granted we only have a few hot days over here so a battery wouldnt be ideal for you and a mains converter would be better.
Can I see a picture?

Sent from my SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store