Which filters are better? Aquaclear or...

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
Hey guys and gals, which filter set up do you think would be better for a 75 gallon cichlid tank? I know this may sound strange and that they're are a ton of options but which would be better.. Option 1: one marineland emperor 400, a tetra whisper ex70, and an Aquaclear 70 all running together. OR option 2: three Aquaclear 70's all with just sponges and loads of Biomax. I'm wondering because option 1 is what I currently have on m tank and a buddy of mine wants to sell me 2 Aquaclear 70's in great shape for real cheap. Would having 3 AC 70's be more efficient than what I already have (option 1)?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I personally would do the three AC70, just for the fact that you can adjust bio media as such. I really don't like messing with the bio wheel and the cartridges.

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
Bio-wheels suck! go with option 2. Ac's are easier to clean, run and adjust media as needed.

daveunkefer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
murrells inlet sc
I would do the three AC70s. But i feel like its a little ridiculous to have 3 filters instead of just getting a bigger one.. I may be wrong though. I would do an AC110 or two.

But you should def use the 3 AC70s for sure. I hear nothing but good things about Aquaclear.

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
I would do the three AC70s. But i feel like its a little ridiculous to have 3 filters instead of just getting a bigger one.. I may be wrong though. I would do an AC110 or two.

But you should def use the 3 AC70s for sure. I hear nothing but good things about Aquaclear.
Ill admit, having three filters on one 75 may be a little rediculous haha but I already have one AC 70 and I can get two more that have only been used for 6 months at the most and I can get them both for 20 bucks (because it's my good friend who is
down sizing on his number of tanks) so even though I'd love 2 AC 110's, adding two more 70's for 20 bucks sounds good to me :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Neither, I would go witha pair of AC110s. Or at least buy one AC110 and run the AC70 you currently have with it.

fishrlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2012
canada
www.loonlodge.com
Aquaclear all the way, but if you already have option 1 set up and your parameters are good id stick with it until you need to replace something. I do agree with ^ that would be best if you going with HOB

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store