Fowlr help

billbobthegreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
Eastbourne uk
Hi guys im looking to start a fowlr system and need some advice.
Im having the tank custom made specs are:
60"×24"×24" display
48"×17"×17" sump
I know from research I should base my system around stock so heres my preffered stock:
Volitons Lionfish
Fimbriated Moray Eel (yellow head)
Pufferfish (Golden or Porcupine)
Emperor Angelfish
I need help with my stocking plans like weather the fish are compatable with my system/each other and order in wich they should be added, im also a bit confused with equipment I know to get the largest skimmer I can find and have been looking at the revolution line but a detailed list of what I need would be GREATLY appreciated.
I apologise for the long post but I really want to get this right I have run a small fowlr system before without a sump but only for a year.
Please help me

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Amaroq

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2007
In The Little Town Of Bedrock!
In terms of your stock list there is a couple of issues. Keeping pufferfish and lionfish together is generally a no no as the puffers sometimes attack the lionfish and eat their spines, same goes for most triggerfish. Also keeping the puffer and eel together can be an issue, the puffers have be known to nip at the eels. The Emperor Angel gets way to big for your tank, you need at least 220 gallon for that fish.

It looks like by what you've shown so far you would prefer to have a few large fish compared to many small fish correct? Have you considered Tangs for your tank? There is a ton of them and they will help control your algae, some even with hair algaes.

For equipment, like you mention get the best skimmer you can afford, it is arguably one of the most important purchase for your tank. Your going to need a return pump for your sump as well, do you have one already or are you looking to get one? There is some debate on how much flow you should have going through your sump, it will vary on whether you want to include a refugium in your sump or not. For reference I'm running a 75 display with a 40 breeder sump with a 7" filter sock and a 1100GPH return pump. I also have two 425 GPH powerheads and a AC110 in the tank and I still feel I have deadspots of flow. Lighting wise you don't really need much as you aren't going to be growing corals, so get whatever pleases you.

I and many others recommend the use of filter socks for your filtration, everything else will be taken care of by your live rock and skimmer. Always try to use 7" socks over 4" socks as a single 7" has about three times the surface area for filtration of a 4". The amount of rock recommended is about 1-1.5lbs per gallon of water, this is only a guideline though. To help save yourself a few bucks, buy the majority of your rock as dry rock and the rest as live rock to seed the dry rock. I personally used a 75%/25% ratio of dry rock to live rock, though that isn't really a general guideline or anything.

billbobthegreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
Eastbourne uk
Ok couple of points I should have mentioned I do apologies, I prefer predators generally so tangs arent really on my list although I do want a splash of colour hence the Angelfish.
I do plan an upgrade after 2 years im looking at 8x3 at the most, I wanted to run the smaller system due to lack of experience and upgrade in the future as I imagine mistakes made on the smaller sytem setup wise cost less to rectify.
My original plan of stocking was one Tesselatta Moray Eel but seeing one in person made me question putting a large one in an 8x3. In terms of dead rock where do I get this and how long does it take to be seeded.
Sorry again for the long post and thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store