need advice im ready to upgrade

THE FAMILY GUY

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
NEW YUCK CITY
i have a 180 non drilled tank with very large bass and 1 17inch dat and a 10inch BEAUTIFUL GEO....anyway im running 2 fx5 filters looking for 2 ac 110s..i'm contemplating getting a sump....tired of the hoses and tubing in the tank and seems that sump filtered tanks are cleaner and healthier. i have no idea where to start with a sump should i pay someone to build it or do i get a used or new one...overflow boxes, pumps dont know where to start. my major concern is flooding my co-op. and with the sump do i still need 1 or maybe 2 of the fx5s or do i need a powerhead for water movement...

sorry for the crazy post but need advise/help recommendations

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
My 180 is utilizing a 50g sump...basically its a converted acrylic aquarium. The main thing you should consider is turnover. 1600gph is approx 9x's/hr turnover and it has worked great for my moderate stock level. I use a CPR CS202 HOB overflow and a DIY return setup utilizing eductors for the nozzles. This allows very good water movement, but the bottom of the tank is never clean...and thats the point. Overflow type setups for sump filters don't keep the bottom as clear as a down tube near the bottom will. A sump is hands down the best filter setup for larger tanks by virtue of the fact you can customize it to meet the needs of a growing stock level. Properly set up a sump is a great way to filter a larger aquarium, but if lower maintenance is the goal, don't think a sump will eliminate maintenance. I would recommend keeping the FX5's and trying a sump setup simultaneously.Research proper setup and buy used equipment if possible in case you don't like it after trying it for a while.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Go with a 55 or 75g sump. They are real easy to make. Do 2 hob overflow boxes that way if one where ever to fail for some reason there is always another. Esopps makes real good ones. CPR ones are great too Don't get a cheap one off eBay. Their flow rates are never what they advertise. Slap a korolia power head toward the bottom to keep debris from settling and throw the fx5s in the closet for another tank
Check out diyfishkeepers.com. There are a ton of inexpensive way to make a nice effective sump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store