NTT won't eat

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I recently picked up a 2.5" NTT and he has not eat for 2 days. He had a full belly when I pick him up. He's currently in a 265g with a 5" IT, 2 sun catfish, and several small bichirs. Should I worry about him not taking tilapia? I had IT before and never had a hard time training them to eat. Are NTT hard to train on pellets and tilapia?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Dats can be finicky when changed to a new environment. I know mine kind of get depressed and don't eat when I move something in the tank. If he doesn't eat by tomorrow, I would try shrimp. They seem to not be able to resist shrimp.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
If he's on feeder, you may wan to get him some feeders to put some weight on him, before thinking about switching food. Datnoid at that size won't last without food

abjr

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
In my tank
Increase your temperture it makes the fish hungry .

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
It has been 4 days and my NTT is not eating. His belly flatten and on the verge of dangerous. I tried carnivore pellets, tilapia, and brine shrimp. He took a piece of brine shrimp and spit it out. Should I move him into my 40 growout with the baby pbass?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Move it to a 10g-20g tank. I even had mine in a 10g with my full attention, then it only ate shrimp pieces (the only thing it ate!) enough to not die so it didn't grow at all. And you know the outcome as you commented on my post.

Good luck!

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
2 days isnt really a big deal...

Give him at least a couple weeks before you get worried...

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I would agree that 2 days is hardly enough time to worry about a young dat feeding, but generally newly acquired young dats are starving already and need nutrients soon if not purchased from a private party

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store