Facepalm LFS

Breezyod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
South Carolina
I went to my local Petsmart today to get some plants to try to finish off the look of my tank. So I figured why I was there I would see some of the fish they had, one of the salesmen I guess you would call them walked up to me and i started talking to him about a pretty Tiger Oscar they had. I was reading the tag that has all the fish info on it while talking to him, and noticed it said 40gallon for Minimum Requirements for this fish.... I asked him about it and I told him they can get 12+ he preceded to tell me if I keep the water clean and feed him the fish would be fine by himself in a 40gallon tank. Thought that was kind of funny.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
I would have asked if he had ever personally kept them. If he said yea ask how long it lived XD

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
It happens. Can't expect a 10$/hr kid to know everything. He gets the petsmart hand book, and relays that info to the customer. It's petsmarts fault, not the know-nothing employees. I've had all kinds of disagreements with the employees about aquaculture, but it's not worth it. If someone wants to put an Oscar in a 40gal, let em. It's better than dying sick and starving at petsmart.

Breezyod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
South Carolina
It happens. Can't expect a 10$/hr kid to know everything. He gets the petsmart hand book, and relays that info to the customer. It's petsmarts fault, not the know-nothing employees. I've had all kinds of disagreements with the employees about aquaculture, but it's not worth it. If someone wants to put an Oscar in a 40gal, let em. It's better than dying sick and starving at petsmart.

Your def right about better then dying at petsmart.

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
I went to my local Petsmart today to get some plants to try to finish off the look of my tank. So I figured why I was there I would see some of the fish they had, one of the salesmen I guess you would call them walked up to me and i started talking to him about a pretty Tiger Oscar they had. I was reading the tag that has all the fish info on it while talking to him, and noticed it said 40gallon for Minimum Requirements for this fish.... I asked him about it and I told him they can get 12+ he preceded to tell me if I keep the water clean and feed him the fish would be fine by himself in a 40gallon tank. Thought that was kind of funny.
The thing to remember...there's always a difference between optimal conditions & "will it survive" conditions.

Heck...if you keep the water clean & feed the fish properly...it could probably survive in a 5 gallon bucket!;) Just faaaaaar from optimal conditions.

Something else. Given the number of folks who have Oscars (lots & lots)...and given the optimal size of the tank necessary to keep one adult Oscar...I'm absolutely sure many Oscars are in undersized tanks.

Unfortunately...it's just reality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store