New Tank Ideas (150 gal 'tall')

daland

Feeder Fish
May 22, 2013
Ohio
Hello to everyone,
New member with a first time posting (love the site!).

Have a (potentially) easy question.
Short version (for the impatient): What would you do with a 150 gallon tank? dimensions: 48" long x 24" deep x 30" tall

Long version (with a brief history and other thoughts):
I have rejoined the aquarium ranks after many years of inactivity. The hobby has certainly changed in the last 15 years (mostly good). This fall, I set up a 29 gal with a few platys and bushynose pleco. I now find myself surrounded by a 55gal planted, 75gal goldfish (soon to acquire weather loaches), multiple 10s, and the 150 in question (i will not talk about the dry ones in the basement). No, i did not go crazy (honest!). Many tanks were given to me by a friend who had them in storage and wantedhe hobby has certainly changed in the last 10 years (mostly good).
Anyway, the 150 in question is a 'tall' variety. Equipped with 2 x emperor 400 hob filters and an eheim 2229. Decoration in currently sparse save for three pieces of driftwood and various rock. Substrate is rounded pebble.
I am toying with many ideas:
Oscar and sailfin pleco
Oscar and few other Cichlids
Clown Loaches
Bichir or Sturgeon (tank mates???)
Fascinated by the Violet Goby but not wanting to make this tank brackish.

Not wanting to make this tank planted for the $$ involved.
Basically, looking for ideas and possible / suitable tank mates.
Water is naturally hard with a pH between 7.5 and 8.0.
(not messing with the pH)

Basically, I am just looking for options and any opinions you may have. (Yes, even if they do not fit the ones above).
Thanks in advance!
Photo on 5-22-13 at 4.43 PM.jpg
(bad photo of 150)

Photo on 5-22-13 at 4.43 PM.jpg

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
Oscars are really cool and i would do the oscar as a main fish... You could also do some small medium cichlids and maybe a pleco as tankmates...

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Think its actually a true 140gallon. I have the same tank and its 149.xx gallons with outer measurements.

With a 30" tall tank i would take advantage and get a bottom dweller a middle swimer and top dweller.

Right now i have a 18" arowana(temporary)
8" RTC
And a 8" jack dempsey.

Its great having movement on all levels.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
One of the lfs near me has this tank set-up pretty nice.. they stacked rockwork up the back side and have a nice african cichlid colony going. but to me this tank also screams for discus or other "tall" fish like Angels ect...The water volume is also sufficent imo to hold a good sized wet pet as suggested as well like an Oscar or other larger ca/sa cichlid but imp not enough foot print to do more then a single larger fish or possibly a bonded pair ( if you don't mind fry)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store