Getting a Baby Black Arowana..

trumpet28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2010
Philippines
Hello sirs! Im about to get a baby black arowna about roughly 3-4" and im gonna put it in my L: 60" W: 24" H: 18" tank. My filtration is 4ft Mr. Aqua Trickle Filter 3 layers. Do i have to put a heater? Is it ok to put my 7" Flagtail together with my new baby black arowana? Thanks in advance! :)

lyzheng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2012
Amazon
Tank is too big, start it off by itself in a 10-40 gallon. Don't put it with any other fish, your flagtail will pick on it for sure. Baby blacks are much more sensitive to changes in water chemistry, so make sure you acclimate it very slowly and correctly - otherwise the barbells and trailer fins will fall off within a few days. They don't like an environment with lots of competition for food. Best of luck.

trumpet28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2010
Philippines
Thanks for the input! Whats the effect if the tank is to big for a baby black aro? I have a 75g tank running but housed by a 5-6" VATF, 4" Fresh water Baracuda,7" Flagtail, 12" Fire Eel..

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
To big of a tank and it will have a hard time getting food. I have mine with a lot of tetras. Have had them with them for about a month. Just acclimated them like you would any other fish and you'll be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

trumpet28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2010
Philippines
Put those fish in the 112 gallon and stick the aro in the 75 gallon by itself.
Yeah i would like to do that but the problem is my 75g is under of my 112g in our garage where my 2 tanks are place and when were having a band rehersal many people passes and stand by in front of my tanks so im worrying if my baby black place in the 75g it could freak out every time people pass.. Sorry guys.. Its just my first time to take care a black this small unlike the ones i took care of like 6" up..

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
You could always cover the tank if you're worried about the movement in front of it, but the vibrations could also cause stress.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Tank is too big, start it off by itself in a 10-40 gallon. Don't put it with any other fish, your flagtail will pick on it for sure. Baby blacks are much more sensitive to changes in water chemistry, so make sure you acclimate it very slowly and correctly - otherwise the barbells and trailer fins will fall off within a few days. They don't like an environment with lots of competition for food. Best of luck.
barbells and trailers will fall off?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
The large sized tank wont be a problem. Feed in the same spot each time, the arowana will quickly learn where to get the food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store