started with a 10 gallon now i have a 75 looking for advice

Newguy19

Feeder Fish
May 24, 2013
USA
so i convinced my friend to give me an old 10 gallon setup that was collecting dust in his garage and then that led me into searching for a bigger tank which i then thought a 30 gallon would be perfect wwhich wasnt and now i have a 75 gallon. so long story short i have 3 tanks and now in my 30 gallon 2 convict fish decided to breed and for what I am reading on these forums is that I am in for a bredding headace. any advice on my newly found hobby. I have a 10 gallon with no fish in it, a 30 gallon wth 2 convicts a ruber lip pleco and a pleco the two plecos are small, and then i have a 75 with an oscar a red devil a few african chiclids, 2 convicts and a baby pleco, I just bought the aqua clear 110 for my 75 and im running a whisper 40 on my 30 but soon i will give it a whisper 60. my original plan was to have piranahs on the 75 gallon tank but now because of the breeding i had to move fish to the 75 gallon tank. im basically looking to hear some stories

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
so i convinced my friend to give me an old 10 gallon setup that was collecting dust in his garage and then that led me into searching for a bigger tank which i then thought a 30 gallon would be perfect wwhich wasnt and now i have a 75 gallon. so long story short i have 3 tanks and now in my 30 gallon 2 convict fish decided to breed and for what I am reading on these forums is that I am in for a bredding headace. any advice on my newly found hobby. I have a 10 gallon with no fish in it, a 30 gallon wth 2 convicts a ruber lip pleco and a pleco the two plecos are small, and then i have a 75 with an oscar a red devil a few african chiclids, 2 convicts and a baby pleco, I just bought the aqua clear 110 for my 75 and im running a whisper 40 on my 30 but soon i will give it a whisper 60. my original plan was to have piranahs on the 75 gallon tank but now because of the breeding i had to move fish to the 75 gallon tank. im basically looking to hear some stories
I have read posts of people who breed their convicts in a 10 gallon tank. Might seem a little cramped, but its doable. The Oscar and Midas will kill each other once their personal spaces start to get too small and chances are the Midas will win. The Africans need different water parameters, but you would definitely not be the first to keep Africans and SA/CAs together successfully. Your filtration sounds good for all the tanks.

IMO, if you want piranhas, get rid of everyone in the 75. Move the breeding cons in the 30 to the 10. Use the 30 to raise con fry. And use the 75 to have your piranhas. The con fry in the 30 will be food for the piranhas. The cons will grow pretty fast, so I suggest raising a good batch of con fry before you get the piranhas because the piranhas aren't going to be happy with just a bunch of 1" fry....they are looking for 3"+.

Another alternative is to still put the cons in the 10 and raise the fry in the 30 and use them for food for the Oscar or Midas. I would get rid of the Africans and either the Oscar or Midas. The 2 cons in the 75 should be able to tolerate living with the Oscar or Midas without dying. They are super hardy little buggers who will push back when pushed. Just make sure the 2 cons in the 75 are not a pair because a pair would gang up on the other big fish and likely kill it (I have experienced this with cons and a flowerhorn in a 90).

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store