Penn Plax Cascade 1500 or Fluval 406?

WHAT CANNISTER WOULD YOU CHOOSE: PENNPLAX C 1500 OR FLUVAL 406?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
Hi.

Im thinking about getting an extra cannitster to save it as back up and get it to work when it is needed, you see how things are, one never knows.

I'm considering about these two options.

Pennplax Cascade 1500.

Fluval 406

Which one would you choose and why?.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Ive had multiple Cascades and they are a great budget filter. The 1500 will allow for a large amount of Bio media which is good. I used two of the sponges in the bottom basket.They do have a lot of bypass so the best thing to do is cut a strip of the blue bonded filter material and wrap it around the bottom and top baskets when you are putting this all together. You will kind of have to tuck it in place with a thin item like a butter knife. This will cut way down on the bypass and then you have a very good filter. So I voted Cascade because of my experience with them. I never have owned that type of Fluval so I cant compare but I do like the FX5's.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I forgot to mention, another thing that motivated me to use Cascades when I first started back in the hobby was a local fish store that had so much faith in these filters that they had them running on all their tanks. So for a store to trust thousands of dollars of inventory to these filters was a good sign to me.

I bought my filters on-line and save a ton compared to retail prices.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
I like fluvals or anything made by Hagen ie Laguna pumps, aquaclear hobs. I use a 406 and a sump on my 120 gallon and it does a very nice job. It might cost a bit more, but it is definitely quality.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fwiffo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
USA
i would buy the fluval 406 filter myself. i owned a fluval 104 a few years ago and i liked it alot. in addition, the media was re usable, the unit was quiet, and the filter required a minimum of maintenance. thats the only reason why i recommend it. the cascade 1500 canister looks like a nice filter though. for me, the deciion would rest on availability of spare parts, warranty, replacement media, and reviews on websites of the two. cichlid-forum.com has a nice review section on filters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store