Bowfin pond mates?

crappiekeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
The land of the pine
Right now I am currently growing out bowfin fry. Eventually I will have a few of them that I keep in an 8x8x3 pond. What types of pond mates could I keep with 2 bowfin in those dimensions. I'd like spotted gar but I'm not sure if they could survive the NC winter. I'd also like LNG but they probably get to long for those dimensions. Thanks for the input.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Bowfin are extremely aggressive and will kill many fish. There are a couple options you could use though. If you are interested you can get some koi or comet goldfish that could grow before the bowfin do to much. After a certain size id say to just leave the bowfin as almost anything could become a snack. But for now, depending on their size, you can get some small catfish like bullheads or you could throw a single channel catfish in there. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crappiekeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
The land of the pine
Bowfin are extremely aggressive and will kill many fish. There are a couple options you could use though. If you are interested you can get some koi or comet goldfish that could grow before the bowfin do to much. After a certain size id say to just leave the bowfin as almost anything could become a snack. But for now, depending on their size, you can get some small catfish like bullheads or you could throw a single channel catfish in there. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Im not really so into koi and goldfish. Bowfin are really not as aggressive as said. Some are completely fine with other fish. I've heard mixed reviews about bowfin with tank mates. A channel cat seems cool.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I assume NC would be north Carolina.. No problems with spotted gar there, they occur way further north. Obtaining some might be difficult though.
Channel cats are cool and interesting pond fish!

crappiekeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
The land of the pine
I assume NC would be north Carolina.. No problems with spotted gar there, they occur way further north. Obtaining some might be difficult though.
Channel cats are cool and interesting pond fish!
Yeah, North Carolina. I've heard of them living as far north as Minnesota. I'm just worried about buying one that's been collected from Florida and having it die in the winter.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
That would make them Florida gar - a separate species. I would recommend talking to Scott (Sbuse), he can probably get some real SPG for you.

crappiekeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
The land of the pine
That would make them Florida gar - a separate species. I would recommend talking to Scott (Sbuse), he can probably get some real SPG for you.
Thanks, I will remember that when my pond is done. I'm going to start building soon.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Cool, keep us updated on the build. Oh and I would recommend 4' depth instead of 3', just makes the temperature more stable.

crappiekeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
The land of the pine
Cool, keep us updated on the build. Oh and I would recommend 4' depth instead of 3', just makes the temperature more stable.
Okay. I will make a build thread when I start. Me and my freinds have built 3 ponds before. It's actually fun. I'll try and go deeper. Would a 20x20 liner be able to go 8x8x4?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store