socks vs. foam

cantrell00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2011
SC
I think they are more efficient and give you flexibility on how fine you want to prefilter the water. 200-400 micron..

The biggest issue is that they are a absolute filter and clog relatively quickly. Make sure you have a bypass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
No bypass is needed. Just add more socks / larger diameter. I started out with 2 4" socks and changed them twice a week. I changed to 7" socks and change every 2 or 3 weeks now. I could wait longer if I wanted to. I should go to a smaller micron rating. I use 200, could easily use 100 or maybe 50.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
You always need a bypass when dealing with sumps, it should always fail to safety. You may intend to always change your socks before they clog but sooner or later life gets in the way. A well designed sump will never be able to overflow.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
If my socks clog it just flows outta the top and into the sump.
Socks are easy...re usable and cheap.
SOcks also come in many shapes and sizes.
I change out my (2) 100 micron socks atleast once a week. Preferebly during wc's.
You dont want all that waste in the system. So change em out.
I love my filter socks and couldnt imagine using sponges in my sump.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I will be using a 3" dump into the sump. what do you suggest for socks? how to attach them to the PVC? the top of the bio filter will be 1" below the outlet of my muffler

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
You always need a bypass when dealing with sumps, it should always fail to safety. You may intend to always change your socks before they clog but sooner or later life gets in the way. A well designed sump will never be able to overflow.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Exactly. More flexibility with socks and they come clean with bleach in the washing machine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store