Is this safe for aquarium use?

Slogz

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2012
cape town
hi all

I found this ad on my local classifieds

I have Red quartz dune sand, 100% natural and soft enough for any lizard. gecko. snake etc. works well for animals that dig to lay their eggs, non toxic and filtered to make sure even if some is digested with the animals food it will pass with no harm.

I just wanted to know if this is safe for aquarium use?

thanks

Slogz

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2012
cape town
did a search, looks like some members are using it in there poly tanks, think i will test it out and give it a go

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
hi all

I found this ad on my local classifieds

I have Red quartz dune sand, 100% natural and soft enough for any lizard. gecko. snake etc. works well for animals that dig to lay their eggs, non toxic and filtered to make sure even if some is digested with the animals food it will pass with no harm.

I just wanted to know if this is safe for aquarium use?

thanks
To the best of my knowledge, quartz only comes in one natural color. It's a cloudy white, not red. And the poster seems to gear the ad towards reptiles anyways, so may be best to just pass on it. Craigslist is a place where something like this could go very wrong. If its dyed and the color comes off the sand, it could poison your fish. Of if the sand is too small, it could not settle well and tear apart your filter impellers.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Coming in from a geology point of view, quartz can come in lots of different colours due to impurities in the crystal structure, these create things like rose quartz and amethyst ago this most likely won't be dyed (of course, nothing is certain and without looking at it, it's impossible to tell) On whether the sand itself is tank safe,I have no idea. All I can say is that the original rock will probably have been safe

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Coming in from a geology point of view, quartz can come in lots of different colours due to impurities in the crystal structure, these create things like rose quartz and amethyst ago this most likely won't be dyed (of course, nothing is certain and without looking at it, it's impossible to tell) On whether the sand itself is tank safe,I have no idea. All I can say is that the original rock will probably have been safe

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Learn something new every day. :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
quartz should be fine to use, I ve used 3M color quartz and another brand of quartz in my tanks, I love the stuff! Just wash it first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store