Scleropages Leichardti in large community tank?

RequiemTCE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm thinking about buying a 5-6" Red Spotted Arowana.

Here's my situation.

Right now I have a 22" royal clown knife, a big red oscar, a huge iniridae super severum, a 16" marbled sailfin pleco, a 14" tiger shovelnose, a 15" hybrid achara cat of some sort, a 7" granulosus, a 7" port cichlid, and a 20" fire eel in my 150, and a 20" giant gourami and 22" ornate bichir in my 80. I already had to give away a rather plain atapabo II pike that was about 14" that was in the 80 because the gourami is a mean bastard, which is also why he's in the 80.

I'm currently building out a 340 with a 220 sump that will be shared with the 150. It's at least 20 days out. My plan is to put the big sailfin and tiger cats, the royal clown knife, the giant gourami, and the fire eel in the 340. That leaves the oscar, severum, 15" hybrid cat, 22" bichir(the clown knife bites his top fins off so he can't go in the 340), 7" granulosus, and port cichlid in the 150.

I have the opportunity for a limited time to buy one of these Aros, which are my personal favorite for looks, and I'm pretty sure the offer will expire before I have the 340. So it would have to live in the 150 with all of the fish from the first paragraph for a bit.

I'm not too worried about it getting hurt - the catfish will ignore it, the cichlids don't really seriously hurt fish(just chase them around and nip fins), and the only fish that can seriously hurt it, the clown knife, A) can't really maneuver very well in there with all of the driftwood, and B) doesn't really hang around the top of the tank much. What I'm worried about is what the Aro will do, because with the size of the fish in there large disturbances can be rather crazy.

I've read that they can be aggressive, but I'm thinking with it being the smallest fish for quite a while, things should be ok. I'll be putting it in the 340 as soon as I can obviously, although I forsee perhaps having to grow it out a bit in the 150(or even alone in the 80) if the giant gourami decides to pick on it in the 340 while it's still 6-7".

Should I get it?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Is it from a vendor? If there is more than one available, I would be interested in getting one. PM me.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Get rid of the Gouramy and put the lei in the 80.

That ck wii kill your lei during the night.

hq statesman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
qld Australia
Leichardti's are all right in a community their less aggressive than their cousin the jardini but they are very very skittish fish and if scared will jump out even through lids their quiet common here in aus

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
A 6" aro would make a nice meal for a 14" tsn. Sounds rather risky to me. If your alright with loosing the cost of the aro then go for it.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
the tank seems too crowded for the lei to swim in.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Same thought. At some point, some of those fish may become nasty. ("Last straw" and such comes to mind.) You may lose some fish in the time before you can move them.

Why is it that you think a 14" TSN won't swallow a 5" aro?

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Easy snacking for the tsn andthe cichlids will bully the lei.

RequiemTCE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Portland, OR
It doesn't eat the granulosus or the port cichlid... and the Marble Sailfin has a MUCH larger mouth and belly and neither does he. Also the one I'm getting is more like a "fat 6-7 inches".

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I'm gonna get it. I know my existing fish pretty well, I was mostly worried about what it might do to them. I'll be sure to let you all know either way what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store