My Leichardti Growout

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
I wasn't too sure at first about what a leichardti really look like since all the pictures online all look different. I got my hands on one around February for 250$ shipped. Here's a picture of it on the first day of acclimation. He was around 4" but after getting in one this is one of the best looking arowanas in my opinion that are legal. The body color is very white and each scale has red spots

IMG_1132.JPG .
This guy is one soldier. Since day 1 he has been on Hikari Carnisticks. He is now 7-8". The first picture is what his colors looks like in person.
IMG_3000.JPGIMG_3026.JPGIMG_3027.JPGIMG_3028.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_3000.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Jealous! Are the barbells supposed to like that?

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
Jealous! Are the barbells supposed to like that?
Yeah the barbells are in the process of growing out since my lei is still a juvenile. In the pics above he is under LED lighting so his colors are distort I am going to take more clear pics of him in a tank with normal florescent lights

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Great looking Lei! I am having trouble getting mine onto 100% pellet. He is 4"-4.5" and eating a bloodworm/pellet mix.
uploadfromtaptalk1369502648222.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
Great looking Lei! I am having trouble getting mine onto 100% pellet. He is 4"-4.5" and eating a bloodworm/pellet mix.
View attachment 917245

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Arowana's are not a hard fish to pellet train. All of my arowana's that i keep even the ones that i rescue that have been eating live feeders all their entire life 18"+ i have successfully converted. Arowana's spend their time at the top of the tank so it is fairly easy to get their attention on pellets. I bought a trio of black arowanas that are 18" now. They were wild caught and in exactly 7 days they took pellets.

Here is my suggestion to you:

Feed your lei one last time with its favorite food and make sure he is stuffed because you are going to start starving him. After that continue with your feeding scheduled except the only food that should be going into the tank now is the pellet of your choice. I like to use hikari carnisticks that are broken in half for all my fish. I like to get a cup and fill it with tank water and then throw in a couple sticks into the cup. Let it soak for about a minute. Then i pour it into the tank to catch all my fishes attention. Soaking it will make the texture a bit more likable I've noticed for my fish. After they start eating the carnisticks you no longer have to pre soak the sticks you can just throw them in. It should take no longer than 2 weeks.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
My baby black aro ate pellets in one day.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Arowana's are not a hard fish to pellet train. All of my arowana's that i keep even the ones that i rescue that have been eating live feeders all their entire life 18"+ i have successfully converted. Arowana's spend their time at the top of the tank so it is fairly easy to get their attention on pellets. I bought a trio of black arowanas that are 18" now. They were wild caught and in exactly 7 days they took pellets.

Here is my suggestion to you:

Feed your lei one last time with its favorite food and make sure he is stuffed because you are going to start starving him. After that continue with your feeding scheduled except the only food that should be going into the tank now is the pellet of your choice. I like to use hikari carnisticks that are broken in half for all my fish. I like to get a cup and fill it with tank water and then throw in a couple sticks into the cup. Let it soak for about a minute. Then i pour it into the tank to catch all my fishes attention. Soaking it will make the texture a bit more likable I've noticed for my fish. After they start eating the carnisticks you no longer have to pre soak the sticks you can just throw them in. It should take no longer than 2 weeks.
I am not a huge fan of starving and prefer teaching. That is why I crush pellets and mix them with bloodworms. I gradually increase the amount of pellet and decrease amount of bloodworms. The lei is eating this mix and it is mostly pellet now, but still wont touch plain carnisticks. I will try soaking them for a bit before feeding to him, hopefully that will help. I have trained the majority of my pbass and some other aros this way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store