Temporary housing for fish.

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
Hi Guys,

I asked this in the general discussion forum but didn't get much feedback. For those that read/replied there, hope you don't mind.

Just found 3 little holes in the wall, along with little specks of wood on the ground nearby. Looks like fumigation needed in the near future. I understand that I'll need to get the fish out of the house. It's fairly warm here in southern California, so I can probably get away with putting the fish up in my sister's garage. Have a few questions.

1. Do you guys think this is ok? This will probably be for a week or so, I figure it takes 3 days for the fumigation, 1 day for me to redo the plumbing to a more efficient way, 1 day to run some bleach through the system, flush, and run it with prime couple times. Do I need to worry about the pool leeching anything into the water?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Sunshin...-Pool/23569860

2. I have a 14" arowana, 9 6"+ Pesuda plecos (L24,25,114,273), couple medium and 1 10" RoyalPleco with long wiskers. My worries is will the plecos puncture that pool? I guess I'll cover the pool with something to prevent the aro from jumping.

3. How do I place heating elements in the pool without melting it?

4. I am already running 2 spare large sponge filters, will be adding couple more to transfer to the pool eventually when it's setup. I'll be placing the bio medias in the sump and FX5 in baskets and setting them in the pool. Since the pool will be sitting on the ground, is it possible to run the FX5 next to it, instead of below?

5. So, probably can get away with 1 week without feeding, or feeding very lightly, anything else I need to worry about? Am I overthinking this? The value of all the fish combined is over 5k, that's why I am a little worried.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

b
tw. I know I need to pack up food. What about clothes? Do I need to pack them up? wash afterwards? or doesn't matter?

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
As long as you manage water in the pool temp not to drop less than 22 at nights and you provide pool with a good filter I think you can get away with it for a couple of weeks.

What comes to my mind is that if you already have a canister running in your tank just get the canister and manage to put the outflow and inflow hoses inside of it and there you go!, remenber, it has to be a matured filter system.

Pool woudnt leech anything into the water, I recommend not to expose it directly to sunrays tho.

You can place heater inside a clay pot and then place the claypot inside the tank and thats it.

By the way, beware, keep it covered, arows are jumpers!

Good luck!.

WiredDragon93

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2013
North Las Vegas
I remember having to do this a couple years back. I dont remember what caused my fish to die, if it was ghr lack of air or because of the chemicals. I remember we had coverd the tank (We left it inside the house during the fumigation but like i said i dont remember how they died.

1, 2. Your best bet would be to get a PLASTIC pool, to prevent any punctures caused by the pleco (Im imagining they can). I have my Koi in one as i am upgrading the pond. To prevent them from jumping out, I used Three long 1x1s and seporated them like this

(l l l)

to enable to put screen lids (From other reptile tanks) to let air in, but no fish out. (lol)

3. To place the heating elements inside the pool, you can use the woods to make them "hang" (assuming you have the regular electrical heaters) i would run the cable along the wood, if needed an extension as well.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Cover with some type of mesh to keep the aro in and the birds ect out. Since this is a pool the fish will be very exposed and vulnerable to perdation so try to provide some type of cover.

WiredDragon93

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2013
North Las Vegas
Lol these guys made it simple ^^^

sorry I was just trying to be creative and getting away with it xD

And about the food and stuff, you take as much as you can, with the rest, just cover it, make it air tight.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
Wow! thanks for all the quick replies! Will the FX5 work placed beside the pool since it won't be working with a siphon? I have couple powerheads around to help with water flow and with the sponge filters, and air coming out of them, I think this should be ok.

I am still concerned with punctures. I've seen either this, fully inflatable ones (sides and buttom. which I think is even less sturdy) or cheapy plastic ones in walmart, most of which are cracked just from handling by the customers. Other than those smaller portable ones, we are looking at ones with frames and starts at well beyond 10'+.

Ha! Just got an idea right now! How about getting couple of those storage bins and drill some holes in them, and keep the plecos in the bins. As long the bins are above the water level they should be fine, and that'll protect the pool as well. I'll place their driftwood in the bins, they'll have less space to swim around, but still get the benefits of the water volume from the rest of the pool. What do you guys think?

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
I never really checked out CK Aquarium before because they seem to specialize in gold water fish. I'll check them out for the tubs. I don't mind paying for the tub, but they take up too much space after I am done with them. Is there any place that'll let you borrow/rent one for a short time period?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store