Moving 55 4'

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
Do I really need to empty all the water and remove all the fish? I have a spare 36 gallon aquarium and two 5 gallon buckets to save as much water as I can but I really don't want to net everyone. Could I just leave barely enough water for the fish and have my big brother help me carefully move it to the adjacent wall it should have went to 3 years ago when I set it up?

Glass aquarium with convict pair, cae, ghostcats, lamp eye tetra.

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
This is a really bad idea. You will w.o a doubt put enormous stress on the seams and will permanently weaken them. If it doesnt break during the move it could leak anytime after that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
This is a really bad idea. You will w.o a doubt put enormous stress on the seams and will permanently weaken them. If it doesnt break during the move it could leak anytime after that

Enormous stress with 5" of water? I'll drain completely and net.

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Yea thats 5x12x48 that's alot of pressure that will be unevenly distributed on the seams. Much safer to drain and move

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
I picked up my 72 gallon with half the water in it and moved it 2 years ago and it's perfectly fine...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
We all might be thinking different things. :cheers:

If you have something under the 55 (like a table top or stand or even a thick plywood board) and can move the tank while using the item underneath it, it's plausible to move it with minimal stress as long as the item underneath does not flex and the tank stays level. However, if you are lifting the tank itself, you risk stress on the seals.

I won't suggest that you can't do it with 40 pounds of substrate and 90 pounds of water. I just think it's an unnecessary risk. (Also, iifc, 55's are almost all tempered. Not sure if that matters, but there it is.)

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
I drained it all saving 46 gallons and replacing the missing water with new. All the fish were netted and put into the 36 gallon temporarily. The tank was on a stand. We lifted the stand. Put in the spot and I refilled and put the fish back in. Everything, so far so good. No signs of leaks and fish are acting as if nothing happened.

uploadfromtaptalk1369543511762.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store