Need Some Advice.. Skittish Jardini

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Hey everyone I'm having a ton of trouble with my Jardini, its so skittish its making me wonder if it will ever get better. I'm a pretty experienced fish keeper while this is my first arowana. I know many people with arowanas mostly Asian and they are just a joy to look at.

So here's some back ground of the arowana.
I saw him in a LFS and I had to have him. The LFS did not allow holds so I had to get him or the person also looking at the fish next to me would have picked him up. At the moment I did not have a tank suitable for him but a established 10 gallon. I had a dried 50 gallon tank that I would cycle and put him in when its fully cycled. So long story he stayed in a 10 gallon tank for about a week.

So here he is in his little baggy from the LFS. And ps, he was 75 bucks and about 5 inches? Not to sure..

Once I got him I rushed to get the 50 gallon tank set up and cycled for this great looking fish! I have a fluval 304 and a aquaclear 300 or now as aquaclear 70, in the 55 gallon tank along with some sponge filters. Water quality is very important to me and I will not have nothing but the best quality water I can possibly have for my fish.

So I started the cycle process and emptied one of the canister's filter material from my jag's tank and left the water looking like a beneficial bacteria soup! Here's a day one shot of the biomax in the aquaclear,

It cleared in a couple hours and the waste was at the bottom, the biomax had reached a mature beneficial bacteria level and it was cycled in the next few days. Here is an after shot of the biomax.

And here is a picture of my 22 inch jag if anyone wants to see him. And that is a 300 watt heater so you can get size comparison.

He was then moved to the 50 gallon tank where he still stays to this day. It has been about a month and he is still very skittish and scared of nearly everything.

Are there any tricks that will help this fish grow out of this phase? He does eat but he doesn't eat in front of me and its very heart breaking. :( I have one half blocked off to allow a dark spot and turn off the light at night. All he does is chill at the dark spot near the bottom swimming into the glass which is affecting his barbs as you can see. Its really starting to get me to think he will never grow out of this phase... Any advice is welcome.

Things i have tried,
-Gave him time
-No sudden movements
-Allowed him a quite place where water flow is minimal
-Made sure of no reflections
-Spent time in front of the tank
-Great water quality with a 10% water change a day.
-Dark place

He doesn't get too scared when I'm changing the water. When I'm pouring fresh water in he will often swim into the stream and "play" in it. He accepts all kinds of foods but I have been spoiling him with blood worms, raw shrimp, and occasional feeders so pellets don't attract his attention. The feeders could not have given any disease as I quarantine the feeders for about 2-3 weeks before feeding any of my fish with a daily water change of 50% and a high quality fish food.

Any advice is welcome. I think I'm just being paranoid and need more time, but I have never owned an arowana so any advice is welcome. Thank you.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
A tank is usually cycle in 3 weeks.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I'm not an experienced aro keeper buy from what I've seen/heard, they tend to be skittish when smaller. That being said, I think the easiest way to make him feel more comfortable would be to add a couple of decent sized dithers like silver dollars or tinfoil barbs to let him beat them up. This should allow him to feel like the king of the tank and make him more comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Try giving him some cover like floating plants and or other deco to make him feel "safe" looks like hes in a bare tank? I had a 15"er that absolutly hated me in a 300gal....he would repediatly rocket outta the tank until i left the room. Some peoples are pleasent as punch and very placid so it could go either way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
A tank is usually cycle in 3 weeks.
The tank has a constant ammonia rate of 0. I even tested the tank before putting the aro in. I dropped pure ammonia in and within 24 hours it was gone. A tank does not take 3 weeks to cycle and it usually takes about a month and a half, not three weeks. However there are ways to speed the cycle stage up by introducing bacteria from a healthy tank as I did.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The jardini could also be stressed from the move. i remember when my armatus flipped ut for 3 weeks when i first put him in my tank.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I'm not an experienced aro keeper buy from what I've seen/heard, they tend to be skittish when smaller. That being said, I think the easiest way to make him feel more comfortable would be to add a couple of decent sized dithers like silver dollars or tinfoil barbs to let him beat them up. This should allow him to feel like the king of the tank and make him more comfortable

Ill add some plants and hope he gets better with some size on him! Thanks.

They also jump. Make sure all lids are tight and no openings for him to jump, because he will eventually.

Yea my friends Golden Asian jumped out with a 5 pound weight on the lid :jaw-dropp

Try giving him some cover like floating plants and or other deco to make him feel "safe" looks like hes in a bare tank? I had a 15"er that absolutly hated me in a 300gal....he would repediatly rocket outta the tank until i left the room. Some peoples are pleasent as punch and very placid so it could go either way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yes sir bare tank, I find it the easiest to maintain. Ill get some decor in the tank asap and see if he gets better with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store