Problems! help on 67 gallon all african male tank

ksc133

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
singapore
hello guys,

need some advice
i am currently running a 67 gallon 4x1.5x1.5ft all african male tank.
PH 7.5 to 7.8
Food: Hikari cichlid excel and gold
Filter: OHF(HOB) 3000L/hr
the tank has been running for 3 months now. some problems have occurred.

current stock list as below
1) 1 Labidochromis caeruleus male - 3 inch
2) 1 Aulonocara baenschi - make 2 inch
3) 1 Aulonocara "German Red" - male 2.5 inch
4) 1 Copadichromis borleyi - male 3.5 inch
5) 1 Protomelas Taiwan Reef - male 3 inch
6) 1 Protomelas taeniolatus - male 2.5 inch
7) 1 Sciaenochromis fryeri - male 2 inch
8) 1 Altolamprologus white calvus - sex unknown 2 inch

Problems as below:

1) Aulonocara "German Red" has shown great aggression towards Aulonocara baenschi recently (chasing biting the fins and tails) but it leaves other fishes alone. i have removed the Aulonocara "German Red" to a hospital tank now (15gallon).

2) Protomelas Taiwan Reef has show some aggression towards Altolamprologus white calvus and Aulonocara baenschi (biting the fins and tails sometimes) not too serious...

how do i make the Aulonocara "German Red" back to the tank peacefully? and how do i distract the Protomelas Taiwan Reef not to attack the Altolamprologus white calvus and Aulonocara baenschi?

i am also looking to add the following fishes below to my tank. do you see any problems with this? thanks
1) 1 Placidochromis electra male
2) 1 Astatotilapia latifasciata male
3) 1 Steatocranus casuarius male

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Surface of the Sun, Arizona
hello guys,

need some advice
i am currently running a 67 gallon 4x1.5x1.5ft all african male tank.
PH 7.5 to 7.8
Food: Hikari cichlid excel and gold
Filter: OHF(HOB) 3000L/hr
the tank has been running for 3 months now. some problems have occurred.

current stock list as below
1) 1 Labidochromis caeruleus male - 3 inch
2) 1 Aulonocara baenschi - make 2 inch
3) 1 Aulonocara "German Red" - male 2.5 inch
4) 1 Copadichromis borleyi - male 3.5 inch
5) 1 Protomelas Taiwan Reef - male 3 inch
6) 1 Protomelas taeniolatus - male 2.5 inch
7) 1 Sciaenochromis fryeri - male 2 inch
8) 1 Altolamprologus white calvus - sex unknown 2 inch

Problems as below:

1) Aulonocara "German Red" has shown great aggression towards Aulonocara baenschi recently (chasing biting the fins and tails) but it leaves other fishes alone. i have removed the Aulonocara "German Red" to a hospital tank now (15gallon).

2) Protomelas Taiwan Reef has show some aggression towards Altolamprologus white calvus and Aulonocara baenschi (biting the fins and tails sometimes) not too serious...

how do i make the Aulonocara "German Red" back to the tank peacefully? and how do i distract the Protomelas Taiwan Reef not to attack the Altolamprologus white calvus and Aulonocara baenschi?

i am also looking to add the following fishes below to my tank. do you see any problems with this? thanks
1) 1 Placidochromis electra male
2) 1 Astatotilapia latifasciata male
3) 1 Steatocranus casuarius male
Well for starters I'd get rid of the calvus unfortunately. You could redo your rock work when you reintroduce the German red and see if that confuses him a bit. If that doesn't work I'd try removing the baenschi and see how the German red and the Taiwan reef act without their punching bag in there. If everything settles then you probably need to get rid of the baenschi. As far as adding more, imo you're good with the stock you have. Unless you throw in something super aggressive, a single male introduced to a established tank will just get harassed until it dies from stress.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Looking at your stock again, you have some pretty aggressive varieties already. If you do get rid of the calvus and baenschi you could throw in an ob and a firefish/dragonblood variety. They are man made species of peacocks and have been known to be on the aggressive side. Since you already have a pushy German red and Taiwan reef, added with the red empress and fryeri which I'm sure will increase in aggressiveness as they mature you may be alright adding a couple more that r on the aggressive side. But at the same time you may be heading towards WW3. Whatever you choose, good luck.

ksc133

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
singapore
hello guys,

how about outgrowing my Aulonocara baenschi to 3 inches in the main tank. while the Aulonocara german red growing slower in the hospital tank before i add him back? will a bigger Aulonocara baenschi reduce the aggression?

the Protomelas Taiwan Reef seems to be the tank boss now over taking the Labidochromis caeruleus.
some chasing of other fishes but not too serious...

i only have 8 fishes now. i am not sure if it is due to too little fishes. when i just started i have 14 fishes and i do not have this aggression issue. when i removed 5 taiwan reef which did not color up the aggression issue started...

wondering if i should add more fishes...or add some dither turquoise rainbow fishes?

ksc133

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
singapore
hello timbo,

"Unless you throw in something super aggressive, a single male introduced to a established tank will just get harassed until it dies from stress. "

how about adding a pundamilia nyererei makobe? they are aggressive but beauty. can they work in my tank?

ksc133

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
singapore
hello guys

i am also looking for a "green camo" african cichlid. i am looking at Nimbochromis Polystigma or Nimbochromis Venustus or Placidochromis milomo. i read these are predatory, big and aggressive.
wonder if i can keep the smaller 1inch Nimbochromis Polystigma male in my tank?

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
I'm not a big fan of mixing the different lakes together so I would say no to that Victorian you suggested but it's up to you.

If you added either of the 3 haps you suggested, you'd end up having to get rid of them because they'll be too big for your tank once full grown.

ksc133

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
singapore
hello timbo,

thanks for advice, OK dropping off those 3 big guys.

how about replacing the Aulonocara baenschi with Aulonocara jacobfreibergi (Lemon Jake)
if the Aulonocara german red fight with the Aulonocara baenschi again after i put him back?

i read Aulonocara jacobfreibergi (Lemon Jake) are more aggressive and able to hold against more aggressive fish.

i really like a yellow peacock in my tank what will go along with my Aulonocara german red.

thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store