About aquarium lights

haroldallen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2011
Canada
So its been a year since I posted in MFK. I went out travelling to asia for atleast 3 months and learned alot about fish. Right now I'm currently living in a Apartment so I can't get a 125 gallon to start a mini MonsFishTank, So I have decided to start off with a 55 gallons. I'm thinking of just buying the tank itself not those kits and buy a canister filter + a glass lid. I am wondering If lights are really neccessary for a tank. People say Its only for you to see more in the tank. But does it have any benefit besides having a greater view of your tank ?

Hope to hear some response,Thank You! :D

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
If all you're keeping is fish then lighting is purely cosmetic.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
If the room has a lot of sun light then no. When I first started my tank had no Lids or light. All my fish were just fine. Now I use a light mostly for fish that need it. I got a sun cat in my sons room in a 55 just tank and filter. The tank itself is on the floor. We don't use the room much cause my son is still young and sleeps with us so the room is always dark and he loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

haroldallen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2011
Canada
So it's better to just have a tank with lid ? Coz buying lights for my tank is a lil pricey, instead just invest the cash for the lights for a canister filter.

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
Lots of sunlight will create a lot of algae. As long as they don't jump ship for some reason. Lids a pretty cheap so I'd at least put a lid on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

haroldallen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2011
Canada
And about the filtration should I invest on a canister or 2 or more overhead filter. Coz some ppl say overhead works better in a way that it doesn't have that much problems compared to a canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store