Arowana breeding questions

Reincarnated

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
upstate ny
I am mainly curious to know if you can breed the arowana in the aquarium? I haven't really done any research which is why im posting this. I have been interested in the ones on jeff rapps stock list and was wondering if breeding is possible. I have no idea what species they are but they are pretty nice looking. Try to wonder if i should get a few of them but if it's not possible to breed them i would probably only get one if any. I just like to try to breed stuff i havent bred before.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
go and look at youtube, there are few vids showing some golden aro breeding in a home tank. But I haven't see any SR aro breeding in a home tank.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Depends on your definition of "aquarium" I guess. Provide enough space for a large group of adults with the right conditions and it should be possible...

Reincarnated

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
upstate ny
What variety are the ones on jeff rapps list? They are $500 ea. I was think of getting 4 or 5 if he had that many. I can basically build whatever size tank i would need for them. Would an aquarium in the 4k -8k gallon size be big enough for 4 or 5 of them? Thanks for the help.

Reincarnated

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
upstate ny
Red Spotted Australian arowana - i just did some research. 3' max length and mostly under that for adults in aquaria. 680 litres for one. Not sure what the conversion is to gallons but im assuming a 4k gallon tank could support 4 to 5 adults as a species only tank?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
What did Google say? Did you happen to catch the latin name? That might help you find more information.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
It is extremely hard to do with anything other then Asians. Good luck getting leis to spawn. You can find them cheaper then that. Those are spendy. You'll have a hard time getting them to be in a group much less spawn. Don't get a group with the intentions of spawning them only. Get a group to have a group of aros. Spawning is a very very very side affect of the group. Most groups will never spawn and it will take years to figure that out.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reincarnated

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
upstate ny
Yeah i did some more reading and if i was going to get a group to have i would need 6-10 due to aggression. I am going a different direction. Maybe just get a black to have.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
It is extremely hard to do with anything other then Asians.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd like to know what you're basing that statement on. I've never even heard of anyone non-commercial making a serious attempt to captive breed any arowana species in a set up like the OP is proposing, though I've often dreamed of trying it with a group of blacks.

I can't see why Asian Scleropages species would be easier to breed than their Australian cousins, but I'm far from being an expert on the subject.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store