Need little advice and help with my 55 gallon

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
I have been in the fish hobby for about 6 months now. Learning a lot as the months go by. I have a well established 10 gallon breeder/containment tank, 30 gallon community fish tank and a 55 gallon with a little more extreme fish.

On my 55 gallon, I have 3 tinfoil barbs, 3 red - tailed tinfoil barbs, 2 tiger Oscars, 1 geo and 1 Jack Dempsey. I do plan on upgrading with a month cause I know the fish will outgrow it within 6 months. Right now the fish are anywhere from 2-4 inches. I feed them Hikari mini pellets for the Oscars and the geo eats it also. And nls community fish sinking pellets for the barbs and the other fish eats it also. I occasionally throw in some Hikari blood worms for a treat. What I noticed is my little tiger Oscar used to eat the Hikari mini pellets and it seems like for the past 2 days he really hasn't been eating. Is it maybe because I added 2 new fish which was my jack Dempsey and geo? I just hope there nothing wrong with him. All of the fish really get along especially the tinfoil barbs. Seems like those guys are really active and keep peace in the tank. Is the food I am feeding them okay or should I get the nls cichlid formula sinking pellets that are smaller than the Hikari mini pellets.

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
What are your water parameters...test the water and you might find your answer

Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Haven't done that yet. I need to go and buy a water test kit. Which ones would you recommend me getting?

You could have issues with you water and never have any idea what is happening. One of the signs of issues with your water is fish suddenly becoming "shy". Adding the two new fish could have caused a spike in water parameters as the bio filtration tries to adapt to the increase in bioload. I would do a water change then get your water tested ASAP.

You can buy the test strips for about $15 or get the freshwater test kit for about $30. Those prices are in stores. I bought my freshwater test kit and my GH/KH test kit on Amazon for less than $25 shipped. To save money, I would order your test kit(s) online and take a water sample to a LFS. Most of them will test your water for free or for a fee of $1-2. Get it tested for everything you can. I would also note that the water sample should be taken BEFORE doing a water change.

If your parameters are fine after testing, then it could be a social issue, but those usually figure themselves out sooner or later. I wouldn't worry about a fish not eating until it has been 5-7 days (depending on the fish and an Oscar would be more along the lines of 7).

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
Thanks for the reply. My friend told me it most likely be a social issue since my tiger Oscar is the smallest fish in the tank out of all of them. My other Oscar which is the biggest got over the social issue 2 days ago cause before when I would go and grab my bag of food they would come up right to me looking for me to feed both of them. Now only the big Oscar does. But I do plan on getting rid of my 3 red tailed tinfoil barbs cause I read a post on her that they are very greedy eaters and not to have more than 3 of them. But I will keep my other 3 tinfoil barbs. I will look on amazon for some water test kit. I wish there was a local fish store in my town but the closest one is 45mins away. Thanks all for all the info.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store