Recommended sand for sensitive fish such as rays and cats?

redtailcatfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2013
nj
So I have a sensitive catfish (rtc) her entire life IV had a bear bottom tank. I was sick of it so I added pfs it was okay for about a week then it went downhill. So now I'm looking for something else. I was thinking play sand ( IV used it when she was a fry) is their anything special people use on rays? I'd imagine rays are sensitive to it to.

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
Your RTC should not be that sensitive. I've kept RTC on every substrate out there with no prob. In fact the only substrate they didn't like was bare bottom. Pfs is pretty gentle. Play sand is even softer but using that with a big catfish stirring it up is just asking for a blown up pump. Their natural habitat is a mixture of sand and pea gravel. You could try that.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

redtailcatfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2013
nj
Your RTC should not be that sensitive. I've kept RTC on every substrate out there with no prob. In fact the only substrate they didn't like was bare bottom. Pfs is pretty gentle. Play sand is even softer but using that with a big catfish stirring it up is just asking for a blown up pump. Their natural habitat is a mixture of sand and pea gravel. You could try that.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I was told by Scott at osa that he doesn't like pfs. I can see the sand sticking in her belly. She also cut her self on the side. She was on bare bottom before the pfs

uploadfromtaptalk1369686495490.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store