filtration and sand

titustitus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Singapore
Hey all,

Im intending to set up a tank soon and want to have sand in it but i always hate the idea of sand being sucked into my internal powerhead. I intend to use a OHF and it will be a five feet tank. Is there a solution to this? Dont intend to get a sump filtration cosit will be a two tiered tank. Just wanna know if there is a solution for me to use sand with OHF or what filtration system do u guys use with your tanks with sand. Thanks

tehmole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2012
antartica
you can use a HOB and raise the intake higher so it won't suck up the sand. I use Pool Filter Sand as it's cheap and heavy enough to sink after a stir up...

titustitus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Singapore
you can use a HOB and raise the intake higher so it won't suck up the sand. I use Pool Filter Sand as it's cheap and heavy enough to sink after a stir up...
Hi, may i know what is a HOB? Hmm how much sand do u get in your filter? Zero or still some?

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Hi, may i know what is a HOB? Hmm how much sand do u get in your filter? Zero or still some?
Hang on back filter, aka power filter. Normally a black or gray box sittin outside tank with a tube called the intake to suck water out of the tank, send it up to the media and be filtered, then cascades back down

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

titustitus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Singapore
Hang on back filter, aka power filter. Normally a black or gray box sittin outside tank with a tube called the intake to suck water out of the tank, send it up to the media and be filtered, then cascades back down

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks for the explanation, appreciate it! Mines a internal powerhead thougj, direct contact with the sand :/

SpinalFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Durham Region, Ontario
I just came on here to look for a solution to this problem. Had an AquaClear die over the weekend, and I can hear sand in the AquaClear I replaced it with :( New to using sand as substrate, though I did research it first. Guess I didn't cover this. :lipsseale

Soooo overall verdict is to sponge the intake tube? There's no "easier on the eyes" method? LOL.

EDIT: I have a Fluval 404 to switch to soon... won't there still be the same concern though, as it still has a similar impeller? Or does the crud manage to pass by the impeller avoiding direct contact?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store