Drilling holes in bottom of tank

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
I have 2 canister filters that fit directly under my tank on the oak stand. I'm switching to a 150 gallon tank. I love the look of tanks that run the filtration thru the bottom. Mine currently hook over the back and go inside the tank with butt ugly green pvc.

Is is possible to drill (take to glass shop even to do the work)(and how pricey) safely thru the bottom as to affix a permanent "pipe" I'd change my canister hosing to sometype of material that would have to be silicone sealed, so I'd have 4 short "pipes" coming from the filter up into the tank. One part would be permanent. The other part needs to be movd for cleaning.
I'm not sure how to set up the tubing where 1 piece would be permanant (the one sealed and thru the hole) Then I'd need to attach that to the canister filters for a watertight seal. (What would I use?)

I don't know how to do any of this or if it's a feasable plan. I don't want 150 gallons of water worth an "accident"! But I really would like my tank to work out like that.

intake/outtake valves or tubes would then run at equal lengths along the tank. I'm guessing about 3" above the bottom of the tank. I'll have 1" of sand, so can I make it shorter? I'm going for as little as necessary for clutter/tubing inside the tank.

Mei

prophets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
USA
:iagree:

Unless the tank came from the factory (ex:AGA, Perfecto which pre-drill the bottom before tempering) the bottom is going to crack, and I don't think any glass shop will attempt to do so, and if they do, they won't be responsible.

Other option is to drill the holes in the back of the tank and use pvc for the return and flow. I've seen ppl with that type of setup, they'd drill the flow hole about 2 1/2"-3" above the bottom of the tank to allow a 1-2" gravel bed.

Another way a friend did was drilled the hole about 11" from the bottom of the tank(125g), put in a bulkhead and T'd it off with a 8" pvc pipe with a strainer on the bottom end of the T, and another 8" pvc with a strainer straight up to skim the top surface. Return was about 2" from the top with a pvc as a spray bar. 1/2" bulkhead and pvc was for the return and 3/4" bulkhead/pvc for the flow into his eheim.

fish head )'>

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
S.E. Michigan
Most are tempered.
Of all the places you would least want a leak, it would be a bottom of the tank bulk head. I picture a wet carpet and an empty tank.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Tempered bottoms do exist, but I have yet to see one. And I drill tanks. Some manufacturers love to use them but most do not. Tempering is an expensive process that requires a furnace. Your run of the mill glass shop and tank manufacturer does not have one. The only advantage of using tempered glass is to save on shipping weight. If a tank has the same thickness bottom as the sides, then it is likely not tempered.

prophets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
USA
Hmmm...interesting..I never really checked the thickness of the bottom plate.

Its funny tho, if you go to All Glass Aquarium's website, they have a specs page, and they list the tanks that have a tempered bottom. I wonder if it really is, or its to CYA themselves.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
I have 2 tanks with blown out bottoms, 1 90 gal and 1 29 gal. Neither of the tanks were marked as being tempered (bought them new). I have a 500.00 drill press made for drilling tanks so I know it wasn't a mistake on my part and they both blew out like tempered glass does. I have seen more and more of the manufacturers going to tempered tanks.

Just my 2 cents

macktab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
metrowest MA
:) I have a 55g I got in 1975 and it has tempered glass bottom. The bottom piece looks like "wavy" textured glass, a bit grayish and it is opaque, not translucent. The tank is built like a truck (the O'Dell company) with thick side glass plates and no center support at top! It was in storage for about 15 years. It's stll kick'in and no leaks, currently Home to my Dempsey pair and pleco.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
meiling;682262; said:
I have 2 canister filters that fit directly under my tank on the oak stand. I'm switching to a 150 gallon tank. I love the look of tanks that run the filtration thru the bottom. Mine currently hook over the back and go inside the tank with butt ugly green pvc.

Is is possible to drill (take to glass shop even to do the work)(and how pricey) safely thru the bottom as to affix a permanent "pipe" I'd change my canister hosing to sometype of material that would have to be silicone sealed, so I'd have 4 short "pipes" coming from the filter up into the tank. One part would be permanent. The other part needs to be movd for cleaning.
I'm not sure how to set up the tubing where 1 piece would be permanant (the one sealed and thru the hole) Then I'd need to attach that to the canister filters for a watertight seal. (What would I use?)

I don't know how to do any of this or if it's a feasable plan. I don't want 150 gallons of water worth an "accident"! But I really would like my tank to work out like that.

intake/outtake valves or tubes would then run at equal lengths along the tank. I'm guessing about 3" above the bottom of the tank. I'll have 1" of sand, so can I make it shorter? I'm going for as little as necessary for clutter/tubing inside the tank.

Mei

Clean the algae off the 'ugly green pvc'...:ROFL:

Paint the "ugly green pvc" another color?

Replace them with clear pipe?

If it turns out you can drill the bottom (back being your second choice), use high grade bulkhead fittings with the gaskets and no silicone unless the manufacturer recommends it. Go straight to the manufacturer for installation instructions, silicone stand pipes into bulkheads inside the tank.

Use 'unions' (to facilitate removal) to connect the filters to the bulkheads with one piece of the connection using plastic tubing to cut down on vibration cracking and leakage.

Keep us posted,

Dr Joe

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Wow, I knew it was a bear of a question but didn't know it was that bad. I like the idea of clear tubing, that or back to the Krylon fusion paint. Sigh, it was worth a try, someday......
Thank you all very, very much for taking the time to answer me and explain the why's, I really appreciate it.
Mei

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store