FIRST SALTWATER TANK (ADVICE)

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Ok to start off i need to say i am pretty much a 100% noob to saltwater... But, i have had lots of experiance (7 years) with freshwater so i think it is time to try saltwater... So as my summer project i am getting a 120-180 gallon saltwater... I KNOW bigger is better and i want quite a few fish so i am going with a big tank... I want a good BEGINNER setup with easy care fish... AND MOST IMPORTANTLY NOTHING AGGRESSIVE AT ALL. But, here is a list of the types of fish i have seen and liked ( LOL, I KNOW I CAN NOT HAVE ALL THESE IN ONE SETUP THESE ARE JUST A LIST OF EVERY FISH I LIKE) TELL ME WHAT FROM THIS LIST IS A GOOD CHOICE AND CAN BE KEPT TOGETHER!
clown goby
firefish
green reef chromis
clownfish
Bicolor angelfish
Dottyback
Pajama cardinalfish
Yellow tang small
Orange butterflyfish
Dwarf angelfish
OH AND IT WILL BE FISH ONLY SETUP!!! Thank You!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
People on here ALWAYS say how this is the "dark side" and SW is bad but that is BS. Anyone who says that most likely has just not kept SW before... Anyways, I am really excited to be switching to SW (i will still have 5 FW setupsLOL) so i hope you guys can give me good advice!

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
I'm not sure people mean that it's bad when they say saltwater is like the "dark side" but I think they mean it's just so different, like there's two sides to fish keeping, freshwater and saltwater. That being said, I freakin love everything about saltwater, not only has it taught me more about the ocean but I think it looks cooler then Freshwater.

Anyways back to your setup, I think that everything you listed will do fine together but make sure put in the more non-agressive fish in first and then the some-what aggressive fish in last, like the yellow tang should go in last because if you put fish in after it and there smaller then the tang, you might have problems. Next what is your plan for filtration? IMO the best form of filtration for saltwater would be a sump or a wet/dry, I would stay away from canisters of HOBs overall. The lighting won't really matter if you don't plan to have coral and some might disagree but I don't see the need for a protein skimmer if your not gonna have corals either. It would really help if you did want to get one but I don't exactly see the need as long as you keep up with you water changes.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
Okay bud, best advice is to take it slow, SW setups often take a long time to mature (tank wise), and patience is key. This applies to FOWLR as well as reefs. Now about your stock list;

clown goby - good, but it is a small fish, maybe not best suited for a 150-180 gallon, but still a good fish
firefish - lots of kinds of firefish, likewise, they are peaceful and stay small
green reef chromis - pretty hardy, active swimmers, stay small as well
clownfish - depending on the kind you get you'll get from viciously aggressive to peaceful. Avoid maroon clownfish, they're aggressive.
Bicolor angelfish - decent pick, I don't have much experience with this one but from what I know, they'll do fine
Dottyback - some are really aggressive/territorial, i.e. purple dottyback, bicolor dottyback
Pajama cardinalfish - will be fine, but stay small
Yellow tang small - fine fish, but some individuals may become aggressive, especially when threatened or in small tanks (not in your case)
Orange butterflyfish - good, might be shy at first
Dwarf angelfish - some individuals are aggressive/territorial depending on the fish itself.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
I know to take it slow... I after it stabilizes i will get 5 reef chromis to cycle.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Yea, i REALLY like yellow tang but have heard they are mean...

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store