RTG Care? will it be successful?

AJmen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2013
PH
Hi everyone I'm AJ and I'm from the PH, sorry for asking this but I just want to make sure everything is right before I buy my first Asian Aro :). I'm planning to buy an HBRTG Arowana and place it in a 100 gal (6 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2) temporary tank for a while until he reaches 17" or so before moving him into the minimum 240 gal tank which I'm really sure I can buy in the future... the 'will' be previous occupant of it is an SA and I want to know if the same care I did to my SA will be okay for an Asian Aro.

The way I took care of the SA is I do 40% WC once every 2 weeks with added dechlorinator and 3 spoons of salt because I heard it kills parasites (just to make sure :) ). Also the filtration is a 30 gallon sump with a pump that pumps 400 gallons per hour. Technically, that's all I do.However since I'll be taking care of a juvenile again, I'm planning to change my WC way and change it to 20% every week, straight from the faucet with added salt and dechlorinator. Now I'm just wondering if will it suffice or should I do some extra care? should I change something? Anyway, the PH is always at 7.6, no more, no less and will that be okay as well?

Thanks for the replies. Straightforward answers will be appreciated.

strawwoodclaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2012
Brighouse UK
The main thing with any fish is mature well maintained bio filters, so your sump should be fine & plenty of water changes. It's better if you don't put any chemicals into the water. It's best to have a HMA filter to filter the water threw a sediment & then a carbon filter (no RO needed) & the main thing is stable PH, I put a small amount of crushed coral sand into my filter to help stabilize the PH but if your PH stays at 7.6 it will be fine . I think elongated tanks will make the fish more nervous & jumpy which could cause injury to your arowana like drop eye or scale loss. I think he would feel safer in a 5ft 2ft 2ft tank while he's young , ideally when he's older he could do with a tank that is wider than 2ft . 8ft L 3ft W 2ft H would be ideal. So long as the water is fresh you shouldn't need any salt. I'd only use it every now & then not all the time.

strawwoodclaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2012
Brighouse UK
a wider tank will keep his barbels (horns) nice & straight. Everything you said should be fine for your HBRTG but I would consider a wider tank & maybe shorter while he is still young

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Sounds like you're on the right track, but I wouldn't wait til your fish is 17" to upgrade if your tank is only 18" wide.

AJmen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2013
PH
Okay then, I should be able to save for the minimum tank until then :) Thanks for the great answers, guys! :)

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
12-14" tops in that tank. Do not add salt all the time. Use it for medication when you need it. I think your aro would be of 7" if im not mistaken. So you dont have much time in your hand for the upgrade.
I bought my Banjar at 7" mid March. Its been 2 1/2 months now. He has already put on some inch n half. Just a heads up for ya ;)

AJmen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2013
PH
Okay then, another question. I currently have a 1.5" ST and 3" 2 senegals and delhezi which are all currently in a 50 gal grow out right now. Given that those fishes grow painfully slow. What is the minimum tank I need to house them with the arowana if ever?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store