Arowana Help Please.

Trifecta

Feeder Fish
May 28, 2013
London
Hi Folks.

Been a long time lurker on this forum and from what I can see one hell of a brilliant resource. :)

I have previously kept many species of fish, coldwater, tropical and did once have a small marine setup, but my question is this.

My one belief has always been to go with the largest tank possible for the fishes welfare, and so far this has paid dividends. I have now decided to purchase Arowana (species yet to be decided) and I guess I'm just asking for clarification really and some honest advice.

I would like to say money is no object, but in reality it is, but with this in mind I have saved for a few months, sold two of my older aquariums and am thinking of buying this tank:

Aqua One Aquience 1800R

Now in all honesty it is BIG, but as I said, to me size is the all important starting point, along with research, research and more research.

So honest opinions please folks, is this a good enough tank (along with associated paraphernalia, filters, heaters etc that come with the tank and stand) to maintain the health, welfare and future size of Arowana.

Many thanks in advance.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Wellcome.

Am not privy with US models. Can you give the height and footprint?

Trifecta

Feeder Fish
May 28, 2013
London
Hi Miguel.

Many thanks for the swift response, and I should have put the dimensions up in the first place, sorry about that.

They are:

Length 6 ft x Depth 2 ft Height 2.2 ft.

Many thanks.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Nice tank but all species of arowana will outgrow a 600 litre tank

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
If I'm calculating that right its a 150 g? Instead paying $1000 for that tank why not look for a used 180g+ then you could house any type other than silvers or blacks.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

strawwoodclaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2012
Brighouse UK
a 600L tank may stunt your arowanas growth . I have seen arowana that have been kept in smaller tanks & after three years the Arowana is still small. I think if you want a big 2ft+ healthy arAowana you should go for a 1200L or larger & wider than 2ft or the fish wont be able to turn & swim as gracefully . Like you say the bigger the tank the better

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Now in all honesty it is BIG, but as I said, to me size is the all important starting point, along with research, research and more research.
It probably looks big, but will look tiny and inadequate if you chuck a 2'+ arowana in there. Don't even waste your money with off-the-shelf tanks like aquaone if you're going to keep an arowana, sooner or later you will want 3' width and 8' length if you really want your fish to thrive and reach it's potential. The filter with most of those style tanks isn't cut out for dealing with large predators either, you want a sump, XL canisters or bead filter type set up.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Hi Miguel.

Many thanks for the swift response, and I should have put the dimensions up in the first place, sorry about that.

They are:

Length 6 ft x Depth 2 ft Height 2.2 ft.

Many thanks.
Did a search for Aqua One Aquience 1800R, webpage says it is 600 litres but gives the above dimensions(in cm) Calculated out it's over 700 litre and bigger then a 180g. :screwy:

You may be able to get away with a jardini, unless it grows to be over 24". Though a tank with a minumum footprint of 6'x 2.5' would be better suited for a 24" jar.

vsrawal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
India
I honestly think it's perfect for the Asian arowanas. I had kept 5 rtgs in a 7X2X2 and some rays they were all fine. I would suggest make a sump filter below the tank.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store