bury the heater?

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
can i bury a stealth heater under the gravel?

I"m jus wondering what whould happen? I know they make undergravel heaters. but i already bought the stealth. i'm just curious.

anyone try it?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It's not going to work properly if you bury it. It will distort the temperature reading and it won't heat up your tank well.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Burying the heater can also create hot spots that can warp acrylic. It's best to have nothing but water surrounding a heater. Both for proper heat dispersal and for proper thermostat control.

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
I know someone that did bury there heater. I did work for awhile but in time being burried it build up a bunch of crud so the heater had to stay on longer and longer to get the water up to temp. It then actually got hot enough that it cracked the bottom of the tank. Needless to say they never did that anymore.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Oddball;682632; said:
Burying the heater can also create hot spots that can warp acrylic. It's best to have nothing but water surrounding a heater. Both for proper heat dispersal and for proper thermostat control.
boisblancboy;683005; said:
I know someone that did bury there heater. I did work for awhile but in time being burried it build up a bunch of crud so the heater had to stay on longer and longer to get the water up to temp. It then actually got hot enough that it cracked the bottom of the tank. Needless to say they never did that anymore.

:iagree: Those would be good enough answers for me. :D

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
CHOMPERS;683049; said:
me too but no one ever listens to me

We all listen to you CHOMPERS, we just choose to ignore you :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Who said that, Hey, I didn't type that...My keyboard must be bugged, (I think it might be Oddball..he has powers you know!)

:j/k: :j/k: :j/k: :j/k:

Signed,
Anonymous

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
thanks thats all i needed to know. so far the heaters seem to be doing just fine. and the fish seem to be liking it. so i'm happy.

now only if the angel fish will keep growing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store