Gar feeding issues

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
hello mfk
i have an issue with my 7 inch florida gar that i got a couple days ago.
he is swimming fine and appears to be very healthy.
my only issue is i have yet to see him eat and have tried pellets,tilapia filet,live shiners, goldfish.
he does not have any tank mates besides a couple of guppies(very small)
he wont even eat those.
is this normal for him not to eat for a couple of days if i just got him or am i doing something wrong.
btw hes in a 150 gallon, if that helps.

THANKS!!!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The small young gars in the lake behind my house feed more on insects than anything else. They're constantly snapping at the surface day and night (under boat deck lights). Might want to try some small to medium crickets.

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
Yeah only issue is I would have trouble getting crickets. Any other ideas?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jar2x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2013
Philippines
i got both of my FLGs at around 5-6" it took a few (maybe 4) days for them to even go after the live guppies. just take note of the number of guppies in your tank so you know if they startto go missing. btw, was your FLG eating at the pet shop? i remember mine were eating fine before the ride home. then took them a few days to get back on track. hope this helps.

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
i got both of my FLGs at around 5-6" it took a few (maybe 4) days for them to even go after the live guppies. just take note of the number of guppies in your tank so you know if they startto go missing. btw, was your FLG eating at the pet shop? i remember mine were eating fine before the ride home. then took them a few days to get back on track. hope this helps.
Yeah it does I'm gonna call lfs I got him from and see what they were feeding him thank you!!
Btw he comes to the surface where the guppies are like he's gonna eat them then he just puts his nose above the water

jar2x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2013
Philippines
i just read your other thread. being knocked on the head and being out of water probably stressed him out even more than the ride home. its good that he goes up for air. i think he just needs a little more time to get settled in before he starts eating. it would probably be a good idea to minimize movement around the tank. i think thats what helped mine settle a little faster.

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
i just read your other thread. being knocked on the head and being out of water probably stressed him out even more than the ride home. its good that he goes up for air. i think he just needs a little more time to get settled in before he starts eating. it would probably be a good idea to minimize movement around the tank. i think thats what helped mine settle a little faster.
That's true thank you for the help.
Hope he eats soon

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
150 gallons is waaay to big for such a small gar he's very likely to spook and kill himself bashing into the glass I would put something that size in a 20Long until he's established and abit bigger. offer live foods and some floating pellets( only a few ideally drop and leave the room.. come back in an hour or so and remove any uneaten) and put him in a "off to the side" spot so he can settle in. You can also put a floating plant into the tank to help him feel secure. fake plastic plants are actually my choice here as they are easy to clean ect.

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
150 gallons is waaay to big for such a small gar he's very likely to spook and kill himself bashing into the glass I would put something that size in a 20Long until he's established and abit bigger. offer live foods and some floating pellets( only a few ideally drop and leave the room.. come back in an hour or so and remove any uneaten) and put him in a "off to the side" spot so he can settle in. You can also put a floating plant into the tank to help him feel secure. fake plastic plants are actually my choice here as they are easy to clean ect.
Ok this kind of pisses me off
First I have my fish in to small of a tank then when I spend my hard earned money on a 150 gallon I am told this is to big. This is beyond aggravating.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Don't know what you're mad about. It's correct that an adult gar would need a large tank. However, small gars (and any young fish) have increased survival instincts due to being prey to many more species (their own included) because of their size. Young gars hide out more than adults to avoid becoming snacks for any large fish. They will eventually relax as they grow since increased size inevitably leads to being at risk from fewer and fewer species until they're large enough to be a risk towards most of the species their instincts made them fear as juveniles.
As juveniles in captivity, a smaller tank means less threat of injury from their fight or flight instinct. Young gars will jump at shadows and that jump usually leads to broken jaws or backs from impacting the walls of the tank. A smaller tank would restrict the speed they can achieve during a dart for cover. Less speed in a smaller tank means less impact trauma.
As the gar matures and becomes settled in its environment (inside and outside the tank), it can then be moved to larger housing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store