Going Acrylic (Used) Questions

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Not sure if this should be here - so mods feel free to move as you see fit.

I am picking up a large acrylic aquarium in the near future.

It is a great price -and I am getting it from someone who I trust completely.

That being said - there are several issues:

1. He says its "scratched up". Not sure how bad it is, Ill fill it to make sure first.
2. There is a crack in the top bracing. He says its been there since he got it and its a non issue - but should be an easy repair. Again, I dont know anything about this.
3. I think the previous owner may have sealed the overflow. I definitely want an overflow...how hard would it be to redrill it?
4. The back of the tank is blue, and the bottom is clear - is there anything I can do to change this to black? I need paint that will be acrylic/fish safe for the interior, as I think the back is molded blue.
5. It doesnt come with a stand - and I have built stands before, but I think that there are special requirements for acrylic stands?

If anyone could help me on any or all of these concerns that would be great.

Thanks

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Not sure if this should be here - so mods feel free to move as you see fit.

I am picking up a large acrylic aquarium in the near future.

It is a great price -and I am getting it from someone who I trust completely.

That being said - there are several issues:

1. He says its "scratched up". Not sure how bad it is, Ill fill it to make sure first.
2. There is a crack in the top bracing. He says its been there since he got it and its a non issue - but should be an easy repair. Again, I dont know anything about this.
3. I think the previous owner may have sealed the overflow. I definitely want an overflow...how hard would it be to redrill it?
4. The back of the tank is blue, and the bottom is clear - is there anything I can do to change this to black? I need paint that will be acrylic/fish safe for the interior, as I think the back is molded blue.
5. It doesnt come with a stand - and I have built stands before, but I think that there are special requirements for acrylic stands?

If anyone could help me on any or all of these concerns that would be great.

Thanks
1) I expect some modest scratching and hazing in a used acrylic tank, those can be buffed out fairly easily. Any scratch you can catch your fingernail on will be much more difficult to buff out. Watch out for crazing, which looks a bit like spiderwebs and will not buff out. A small amount of it is acceptable to me depending on price, a large amount could signal structural trouble. Check the seams carefully.

2) Really depends on the crack. On big tanks, sometimes people sit on top of them when setting up and they crack a bit. Or it could be a big structural issue.

3) Depends on how they sealed it... You may not even want the overflow where it was previously placed... The best overflow designs really have multiple holes drilled anyway, like bean animal and the herbie.

4) Is does depend if it's just painted blue or an actual panel of all blue acrylic... Honestly in this case I've found thin 3D backgrounds to be very easy fixes that look great.

5) You want to make sure the entire top of the stand has a flat sheet of plywood, as opposed to just the edges like a glass tank. Some people put foam under the tank on top of that, personally after talking to a very good local tank builder, I do not do this. But I'm sure there's debate on that and you should make your own educated decision. Part of it is me hating how a sheet of foam looks under my tank. :(

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I feel like I have to take this tank...its 4'x3'x25" - and for $75...that has a lot of monster potential.

Here is a picture of the crack, hopefully you guys think its repairable...Like I said I trust this guy completely, so Im not too worried, but would still like a third opinion:

2013-05-30 22.22.47.jpg

Not sure of what any of that overflow jargon meant - Ive never built my own. How would I move this overflow? I need one, and I would really like as much flow as possible through this tank...going to have lots of big fish in here and have a very large (brute garbage can) thats going to be filled with foam and scrubbies for a bio filter...plus a 300g sump tank with raft aquaponics. I really want some flow and water turnover in this tank, so give me your advice.

2013-05-30 22.21.55.jpg

I like the idea of a 3D background as well - but it seems like I am going to be hurried for time the way things are going now to get this tank ready.

Are there any good threads out there? How labor intensive is it? How soon after completion can the tank be used? I really like this idea, but I am somewhat intimidated.

So other than having a sheet of plywood under the whole tank, its a regular stand? Thinking 3x 2x4 squares...with one 4x long 2x4 boards connecting all of them at the top and bottom along the front and back.

Thanks - you have been a great help. Cant wait to get this tank.

2013-05-30 22.21.55.jpg

2013-05-30 22.22.47.jpg

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Foam helps evenly distribute the weight. ANd helps make it "more" level.
For $75 I wouldnt pass that up either.
And w/ that footprint you cant put too many monsters in it.
ANd if the flow is too high it will probably just whirl pool...maybe.
For the price I would make it a project and try and get that overflow box working.
Novus polish will buff out scratches quite well. get the novus 1,2 and 3 kit.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Out of order but YES to the full wood bottom. A small pressure point under one can do a lot of damage. I usually use foam under glass of this size, but acrylic will be fine with wood instead.

As for the cracked brace - it is an easy fix, and def something to fix. The best way is to bond a flat section of new acrylic over the top of it.

If the background is painted blue, sand paper to remove it, rubbing compound to smooth the sand paper marks, then polish it shiney....then repaint it black. If it's blue tinted acrylic, then you'll need to make something to cover it from the inside. Another option is a thin sheet of black acrylic fixed into place from inside the tank.

To remove the over flow box, you'll have to cut it out, and buff down the edges. It's a big pain to do. What is the reason for moving it? Are you just wanting it in a different location?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis

Probably some surface scratching that any tank will get over time.

Based ont he pic, you could put a patch on the top or bottom and fix that no problem.

This is a simple job. Just need a hole saw and a bit of time.

As stated above, you could get a background for it. Or, you could get a piece of black acrylic or ABS to cover it as well.

As stated, just basically need a flat surface to support the entire tank along the bottom.

Foam is stricly to eliminate any potential "point" pressure, i.e. a bit of dirt or a small pebble. I wouldn't count on it to level anything.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
So hopefully a novus kit will remove all of the marks - that doesnt seem too expensive.

If its something I can do without buying new tools - moving the overflow to the back wall would be preferred - If I am going to do this DIY background I would like to encorporate that into it as well.

Now doing some research on DIY backgrounds.

Thanks for your help everyone - if we have tips on the buffing process or good links Id love to have them...did some research on the site and didnt turn up too much. Lot of very specific questions and not as much - this is how you do what you need to do, and this is what you need to do it - straight forward talk.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Im also having a hard time finding good ideas for backgrounds on acrylic tanks...anyone?

Also is there an acylic safe/fish safe paint that I could use in the tank?

I really hate things that look half *** - but buying a background wont work because I wont be able to fit it into the tank anyways.

I also dont want to take up more than a few inches if I do this - maybe some branching roots - but no large rocks. 3" is already wasting a lot of tank space.

This claims its bendable - but I think it would still be nearly impossible to get inside the tank...I could cut it in half I suppose and black spray foam it closed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-D-Aquariu...0455615352?pt=Decorations&hash=item5198c84f78

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store