florida gar and rcs

jar2x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2013
Philippines
will florida gars eat red cherry shrimp? i have beginning hair algae and i was wondering if rcs would be good in the tank. the only things stopping me are the two 8-9" FLGs swimming around. :)

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'd imagine that they would eat the shrimp. What I would be more concerned about is how fast they are eating the shrimp. If the shrimp are relatively established they might be able to keep up with the predation from the gars. Myself I'd probably try it. Pick some up, put them in their own tank and add the babies to the main tank as they hatch out.

One of my buddies had breeding populations of cherry shrimp in his tank as well as a synbranchus eel species. Even with this larger predator there were still plenty of shimp.

jar2x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2013
Philippines
thanks for the reply. thats interesting, i was trying to think of a good algae eater. i might eventually try it. does your friend use sponges on his filter intakes?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I would think if you had enough cover for the shrimp you would be fine... will the gar pick them off if the opportunity was there? sure.. but if they are otherwise well fed the crs might be to much work.. I know my FLG are laaaazy taking pellets over live feeder fish if fed often enough with pellets.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
thanks for the reply. thats interesting, i was trying to think of a good algae eater. i might eventually try it. does your friend use sponges on his filter intakes?
He didn't use any sort of sponges. It was set up with an overflow that went directly into a canister filter.

jar2x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2013
Philippines
thanks! you guys have given me another thing to think about. btw, the hair algae is becoming a little less of a problem since i added another filter with current. but im still considering the idea of adding rcs. i thinks im going to start cycling a ten gallon (another excuse fr another tank). thanks again for your inout ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store