Canister help

SpinalFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Durham Region, Ontario
I've never owned a canister filter until last week. Then last night I picked up two more. I NEED to get 1 of them up and running. I know a MarineLand C-360 I have works fine because I saw it working before I picked it up last night. How the F do I start it? I got it in places, hoses in the sink to test it, plugged it in.. sounded promising... then water comes out around the head all over my kitchen floor.

Earlier today I tried my Eheim. I filled the canister, attached the head, plugged it in, nothing but what sounds like rocks in a HOB filter. I saw this one working last night too.

What gives?!

I have a Fluval 404, C-360's, C-220's, and an Eheim 2234.

1bigdovii

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
Virginia
Some of the marineland c360s had a recall a while back for that leaking issue.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
im not familiar with the marineland range at all, but when i got one of my fluval 206's I had the same exact problem... I had forgot to put o-ring seal around the head before i installed it. maybe there is a missing or damaged o-ring on yours? as to the eheim problem, never owned one of these, but it should be the same as others in principal. you say you filled the cannister? did you prime it? ie fill the pipes with water? that will allow the gravity down pump up cycle. alot of externals have a priming button, repeatedly pressing iti will drag water through the 'down' pipe. then when you start the filter up voila! If there is a priming button, repeatedly pressing it will pull water through, you will be able to hear it gurgling down the pipes. sorry if im teaching you to suck eggs here, but thats all i can think of

SpinalFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Durham Region, Ontario
Any info is better than none. :) I've been priming as far as filling the canister, but not the lines. Thought the priming was done faster than it actually is, as I've learned on youtube, and I was initially trying to prime with the filter on. Not good.

About to try the C-360 again with a 20g tank on the back deck instead of in/out hoses in kitchen sink...

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
that sounds like your problem then, the noise you hear like rocks is the same kind of noise i hear if i havnt filled my lines properly

SpinalFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Durham Region, Ontario
Only the Eheim made that noise.

Just tried both C-360 heads. Both leak. One can't even get to the point of circulating the water, where the other one does while dripping all over the inside of my stand. *sigh* I need one of these up ASAP. I just got rid of my HOB and have no media for my AQ110 :(

Couldn't I just fill my AQ110 with the balls from the canister for now?

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
not familiar with aq110 either, but if there is a place for it to go then yes you can put the media from the other in it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store