Nu-Clear/Ocean Clear canister on sump return

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
I'm thinking of setting up a sump primarily filled with poret foam. This will provide good mechanical filtration but the finest pore size of the foam (30ppi) is still too coarse to filter out really small particles.
The tank will have a coast to coast overflow with only a single return bulkhead so it won't be convenient to add a separate closed loop.

My thought for really polishing the water is to plumb a NuClear canister filter after the return pump from the sump loaded with a 100 micron or 50 micron cartridge (I already have the canisters and an appropriate pressure rated pump). It seems to me that this would really polish the water and might work even better than having the canisters on a separate closed loop because most of the large particulate matter will be picked up by the media in the sump so the canister wouldn't have to be cleaned as often.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Any thoughts as to why this would or wouldn't work?

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I'm thinking of setting up a sump primarily filled with poret foam. This will provide good mechanical filtration but the finest pore size of the foam (30ppi) is still too coarse to filter out really small particles.
The tank will have a coast to coast overflow with only a single return bulkhead so it won't be convenient to add a separate closed loop.

My thought for really polishing the water is to plumb a NuClear canister filter after the return pump from the sump loaded with a 100 micron or 50 micron cartridge (I already have the canisters and an appropriate pressure rated pump). It seems to me that this would really polish the water and might work even better than having the canisters on a separate closed loop because most of the large particulate matter will be picked up by the media in the sump so the canister wouldn't have to be cleaned as often.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Any thoughts as to why this would or wouldn't work?
I think its a good idea.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
just remember that you will either need to shut down your return or have a bypass in order to service the polisher.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
There are two reasons I chose not to go with canisters for polishing:

1. If you get lazy with maintenance and go longer than usual between cleaning the canister, your flow rate is going to suffer.
2. High pressure pumps draw a lot of electricity (they are expensive to run).

Have you considered just using filter socks? If they become clogged, they just overflow into your sump; your turnover would not be restricted by keeping your mechanical filtration clean and you can run a low pressure pump which will be much easier on your electric bill.

You can try asking Doviiman about how frequently he needs to clean his NuClears...if I recall correctly, he used two on his tank plumbed in exactly how you plan to: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...n-(ext)-aquarium-build-thread&highlight=presa

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I agree aldiaz. My experience with all fine cartridge filters is that they are all high maintenance. I have a Ocean Clear and gave up with it after a couple months. I have also have a Magnum 350 I gave up on. And have tried multiple Big Blue cartridge filters. They polish the water well but they all clog pretty quickly.

I use a DE filter on my sump return and haven't had to change the media for about 2 years now (See my signature for details). Socks would be my second choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store