Canister vs. HOB

Ajtennis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
New York
As of now I'm running two HOB filters on my 55, a marineland bio wheel 350 HOB and a Topfin 60 HOB. First off I was wondering if an different combo would be better. Say two canisters or a canister and a HOB. Second concern after filtration and clarity I was wondering which combination would be the quietest.

All response are appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
I would say 2 Eheim 2217s would be sweet on a 55g.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
HOB's are easier to clean, so you will do it more often. HOB's give better surface agitation. I feel cans are more versatile. You can put more different types of media in them and change intake and return locations easily.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I don't trust placing a canister in my living area because a leak from a canister can drain the tank and flood the room. HOBs are the safest (from flooding), simplest and cheapest filtration.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Aqua Clear HOB Filters are the best IMO, If you decide not to use any canister filter's. :)

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
if you drill a small hole about an inch below the waterline it will stop the cannister draining the tank all the way to the bottom of the intake.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
if you drill a small hole about an inch below the waterline it will stop the cannister draining the tank all the way to the bottom of the intake.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yes, that's one anti siphon trick every canister owner should do it to prevent disaster. But a few inches in a big tank is still a lot of water, and watch out that dropping water level from evaporation loss can disable a canister.

Aqua Clear HOB Filters are the best IMO, If you decide not to use any canister filter's. :)
AC is best among HOBs in having the highest flow rate and largest filter media volume so in a way it is a HOB canister. Unfortunately, AC is the only HOB that can leak because cleaning of the impeller requires removal of the motor to access the impeller well and overtime the O ring will fail the same way canister O rings will fail eventually.

My preference are the traditional over flow HOBs like Penquin, Aqueon or Whisper which are fail proof.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store