Stingray signs of stress

Arghas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
canada
Hi all, after a 10 year break I finally got a leopoldi!!!

Because I haven't taken care of a ray for so long, I wanted to ask ur input what are signs o stress for a ray. I.e. not moving, not eating.

Currently I see my ray go up and down the glass wall but only on 1 place...is this a sign of stress? He does it like 2-3x every 5 hours.
(Water params perfect, 29 degrees)

I would love to hear ur inputs! Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
How long has it been in the tank? Usually stress out rays dont move around at all and hide

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
My rays get red mouth from eating pellets.
Do u feed hikari?

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Is it eating?? And if so what is it eating? Sometimes it takes 2-3 days to settle in. Pretty scary with a $$$ fish!

Sent from my LG-P999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Sure his mouth is not red from trying to chew on the sides or bottom of the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Arghas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
canada
Thank you all for the reply.

It's been with me for a week.

It is eating. It's eating ghost shrimp (I bought it for a just I'm case it doesn't eat), bloodworms and shrimp. There seems to be no problem with its appetite. And eats like the Cookie Monster. A bit fail on the ghost shrimp since its captive bred....he has been trying...but I haven't seen him succeed.

With the pellets he hasn't eaten them yet. I tried but he didn't bother. Yes it's definitely scary with such an expensive fish

I do see him sift the sand through its mouth, could that be the cause?

Arghas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
canada
It's been 2 weeks it still does that thing where it climbs up and makes sounds....

Could it be that it's hungry? Aside from that its eating and doing well (I think/hope).

It's pretty active and I guess that's a sign of good health? My rays before we're never this active unless it was feeding time

Reactions: Hart1985

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
It's been 2 weeks it still does that thing where it climbs up and makes sounds....

Could it be that it's hungry? Aside from that its eating and doing well (I think/hope).

It's pretty active and I guess that's a sign of good health? My rays before we're never this active unless it was feeding time

My rays go up and down the side of my tank sometimes. It has never been a sign of any problem and I've had my rays for a year now. Even when the live food I feed them remains in the tank, they still go up and down the glass. In my opinion, they are just doing that for fun. If the ray is not active, and refuses to eat, then there is a problem and it may die if nothing is done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store