Tips on choosing a chiller?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Mods, if possible please leave this here as no one in setup and filtration answered my question...

Okay, so i think i may finally need to cave in and purchase a chiller for my 50G planted tank, since this summer is proving to be a real scorcher with temps reaching 33'C and up, with crazy high humidity...

Anyway, my question really, is are there any tips on what to look for in a chiller? and also what size chiller would one recommend if i am looking to keep the tank temps around 22'C with ambient room temps reaching as high as 30'C - 31'C?

Tank Specs: the tank is a 50G / Planted Tank W/ CRS Shrimp only / Running a filter rated at 265 GPH...

One more question, is it possible to replace the coolant in the chiller if it runs out or are you supposed to just get a new chiller :WHOA:
P.S im not really looking for brand names per se, but more the type of specs i should be looking out for...

I.e how big a chiller etc...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'll let it stay till about this time tomorrow so it attracts a bit of attention, but I can't let it stay in the wrong section indefinitely. :)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
I have no experience with chillers but some brands have pulldown specs and/or BTU/hr specs which should make it easy enough to figure out what you need. This one, for example, has both but it's a pretty pricey one.

http://www.aquacave.com/SeaChill-TR-10-18-HP-Aquarium-Chiller-by-TECO-P955.aspx

Hopefully someone who actually uses a chiller can chime in. As with heaters, you likely want to choose one that is quite a bit more powerful than you absolutely need.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thanks for the link definitely going to check it out....

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Try the saltwater forum. Those guys use them more frequently I think.
Your question about adding coolant: The "coolant" Is actually a gas, freon. It is a sealed system so won't get used up or wear out. If it losses the freon I imagine you have to replace the chiller unless you can find a refrigeration repair shop to fix it.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes you may receive more help in the saltwater section.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Homer I'm gonna move this thread. However, you tell me where you want it to go, S&F or saltwater...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ could you please move it to the saltwater section?

Thanks ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store