INFO on old 135 gallon tank with no center brace.

cichlidzoid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
NJ
Can anyone let me know if its normal for an old 1987 1/2" glass tank with no center brace to bow about a 1/4"? the tank is 72"x 18"x 23" in good condition it hold water fine but im just curious about the bow. I hear mix comment like, older tanks with no center brace bow and then hear they aren't suppose too. anyone own one or know about them let know. thanks. By the way this tank never had a center brace.:help2:

wolfer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2013
london ontario
I had an old hagon tank that was 72x18x18 that did the same, it had no center brace I had mine set up for 2 years

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ryeguy28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
rocky mount,NC
the older tanks bowed thats what my 125gal is .. i had it set up for awhile and im about to run it again in a couple weeks

cichlidzoid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
NJ
thanks for the info. would of like more feed back from more people but thanks anyway.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Bowing is normal for tank without center brace. I have a Perfector 75 gal that has no center brace. The glass top came in two pieces marked left and right with warning that the two pieces should not be swap because the width is cut wider on the center than the edge to allow for bowing. I have the tank for 25 years, moved once, and it is still holding water. I don't think they make tanks that way anymore as they can save money on thinner glass by adding central brace support.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Dude thats longer than i have been alive.
Lol, that's awesome.

Back to the subject at hand... I'm fairly positive they got away with making brace-less tanks because of the thicker glass that was used as tiger15 pointed out, for example: my 345g display tank does not have a brace 100"x40"x20", I'm not sure how old it is, but the glass is very thick (3/4").

That being said, are there any signs that their used to be a center brace on the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store