Getting my Black Arowana this week yahhhhh

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
Hey guys Im getting my own Black Aro this week, cant wait. IO have a cycled 35 gallon that has been running for a year or so. and just added a heater and done a really good cleaning. Any tips or suggestions would be great as I have never owned a Aro but I will master the craft in not time im sure.

GinBlack

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2009
New York
If its a baby black arowana I would make sure you have wingless fruit flies, pellets and guppies available to feed it. Water quality must be prestine and if you can get your hands on some floating plants that would be great for allowing the little guy a hiding spot to feel secure!

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
haha just got mine! The best aro!

Mine is 2.5 inches and eats hikiri pellets.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Arowana jump, make sure you have every hole sealed up and the lid weighted down. Babies are rather fragile so best to raise them solitary until at least 6" and then only a very select few non aggressive tank mates until 10-11".

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
From what I have read they need good water but as long as the tank is cycled and water changes are kept regularly than should be fine, plus im on well water. I have my top taped down an full canopy for security, and some floating plants as well :) as for food I was advised that blood worms and meal worms were best ?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
From what I have read they need good water but as long as the tank is cycled and water changes are kept regularly than should be fine, plus im on well water. I have my top taped down an full canopy for security, and some floating plants as well :) as for food I was advised that blood worms and meal worms were best ?
What is the pH and Gh of that well water? Generally well water is high with both, not gonna be good for baby black. IMO freeze dried blood worms work best for baby aro. FDBW are soft, float for a long time and readily accepted. Start adding a small bit of crushed pellets to the FDBWs once it is eating good, this will make the transition to pellets go smooth.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Got mine about a month ago. took crushed freeze dried krill right away and now broken up carni sticks, has nealry doubled in size in a month. also landed on the floor once through a 1 inch gap so be really careful. Good Luck.. BTW blood worms may work but they sink quickly and have low nutrional value.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Dont forget to work on feeding some shrimp and talapia as time goes along. Like all fish a mixed diet is good.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Got mine about a month ago. took crushed freeze dried krill right away and now broken up carni sticks, has nealry doubled in size in a month. also landed on the floor once through a 1 inch gap so be really careful. Good Luck.. BTW blood worms may work but they sink quickly and have low nutrional value.
freeze dried blood worms don't sink quickly, some never sink. Buy a high quality brand such as hikari, which are vitamin enriched and the are just as nutritious as pellets.

The FDBWs are a first food, work well to get baby aros(2.5) eating, within a month they should be on pellets as a staple. Once eating pellets regularly, then expand the diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store